PDA

View Full Version : IPTV Demo Review of current channels

placidns11
02-11-2015, 04:22 AM
I've been using the service tonight for a few hours. Flipping back and fourth between My dreamlink, I-link and Mag 254. Quality on the current IPTV channels is definitely better than the SD channels on FTA as far as a still picture goes. But there is a noticeable issue. There is definitely a noticeable FPS problem. Anytime there is a ticker like on CNN or a banner that runs words, it is choppy. Whenever things move to fast it looks like frames are being skipped in displaying the feed. Hopefully this isn't the way it is going to be overall. This would be very disappointing to be losing quality of the video. SD and HD Channels from dreamlink/fta in general are never choppy at all.
I also noticed that audio is very poor. Will there be Dolby Digital options like on FTA?
They say it requires a 1.5 Mbps internet, IMHO a 1.5 Mbps stream will always be very poor quality. There will never be a great picture and audio on that minimal of a bandwidth. A Normal OTA feed of HD will be 15Mbps not 1.5. This is too big of compression to be of good quality. H264 rips of 5-10Mbps are better but still only 720p quality.
I hope things get better otherwise I will be sticking with the old fashioned HD FTA Charlie. I hope they keep support for it around and they don't force everyone to IPTV.
I will change my review once I see changes in quality in picture and sound....

toyz4tv
02-11-2015, 07:04 AM
Yes the audio is not great at all. We're in the testing phase so let's hope they are reading our comments and making the necessary adjustments. I subscribe to an iptv service from Europe and the picture and audio quality is outstanding. So no reason for nfps to not deliver the same.

tnt21
02-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Agree with placidns11, I understand they are trying to keep the bandwidth requirement low but the issues with FPS and audio are very noticeable. Some of us have been exposed to other iptv services and expect a certain quality. As was mentioned, they are still in testing phase and hopefully the feedback will be considered.

wee-haggis
02-11-2015, 02:51 PM
The picture quality is OK....but nothing more than the quality you would expect from SD. If/when the HD channels are put up, then the true testing will begin. The one thing that bugs me the most right now is the audio quality (as described in a previous post....like listening through a tin can). Again, I have confidence that this will improve as the testing phase moves forward.

#1tiny
02-11-2015, 04:24 PM
I think it is great and can't wait for more to come

dreamscape
02-11-2015, 04:41 PM
I think it is great and can't wait for more to come

Couldn't agree more!

hamdi7939
02-11-2015, 04:54 PM
Let us wait the best from the team

12icer
02-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Lets see eu good premium IPTV average 30 channels 15 a month, 100 channels 30 a month, let's see 2000 channels 11.50 or so a month, I'll take the difference even if it ends up being a little choppy, and have to increase TV volume a little. But I'll probably Not have to.

sugarmtn
02-11-2015, 11:14 PM
The picture quality is OK....but nothing more than the quality you would expect from SD. If/when the HD channels are put up, then the true testing will begin. The one thing that bugs me the most right now is the audio quality (as described in a previous post....like listening through a tin can). Again, I have confidence that this will improve as the testing phase moves forward.

I run an Awai/Bose sound system and a Sony up-converter - hear surround sound and watch 1080p. very nice!

Italfrank
02-12-2015, 12:34 AM
Yes i agree ,with the review ,from placidns11 ,after testing a T5 HD, i find it king of agonizing, to watch the quality of the 31 channels ,if picture quality would not improve, from rocket it would definitely ,be time, to move on ,maybe a sub, or a different IPTV server ,that can get a good quality picture, as for the sound, it seems to be fine ,on my samsung smart tv, just the picture, is hard to look at, after looking at a T5 HD picture.

Bkman2020
02-12-2015, 01:49 AM
I dont see any lagging here with my setup at all picture is perfect i watched 3 movies tonight.

Goldyflix
02-12-2015, 03:16 AM
Bkman2020 did you watch your movies on the vod or the live channels? Because there talking about live tv channel quality not the vod movies

dreamscape
02-12-2015, 05:09 AM
I personally don't see any issues with the picture quality (in fact it's very good) or the sound. Maybe as beta testers we should also post our internet speeds with each review to help the developers..... 150mb cable broadband & mag254

dreamscape
02-12-2015, 09:16 AM
This morning, 182 Discovery Channel USA, 205 Fox News & 214 The weather channel are all breaking up (maybe the feed?)

Also 135 BBC America has hardcoded subtitles?

FrankieG
02-12-2015, 12:39 PM
This morning, 182 Discovery Channel USA, 205 Fox News & 214 The weather channel are all breaking up (maybe the feed?)

I noticed that as well. Interestingly, the freezing for me is more intense at night. I suppose this is when most persons are home and logged on.This morning all was working well, except for the issues on the above listed channels.

theuduk
02-12-2015, 01:04 PM

Was same for me although 205 fox was watchable, 940 tnt latin still down other channels have much better than DN SD resolution, will be lot more activity to get most channels up with EPG, running 254 on 7m speed in an area of house that is not good for wifi, just installed a wifi extender that might be helping.

Italfrank
02-12-2015, 01:05 PM
I am experiencing ,no lagging and no freezing, only poor picture quality ,as tested a t5 hd picture is incrdible on that unit, and i find the picture to be like basic cable on my mag 254 compared to the t5 hd, i have a 50 mbps download ,and about 12 mbps upload ,this is what i am experiencing ,might be different with others, i am using hdmi cable .

zensat
02-12-2015, 02:07 PM
I've been using the service tonight for a few hours. Flipping back and fourth between My dreamlink, I-link and Mag 254. Quality on the current IPTV channels is definitely better than the SD channels on FTA as far as a still picture goes. But there is a noticeable issue. There is definitely a noticeable FPS problem. Anytime there is a ticker like on CNN or a banner that runs words, it is choppy. Whenever things move to fast it looks like frames are being skipped in displaying the feed. Hopefully this isn't the way it is going to be overall. This would be very disappointing to be losing quality of the video. SD and HD Channels from dreamlink/fta in general are never choppy at all.
I also noticed that audio is very poor. Will there be Dolby Digital options like on FTA?
They say it requires a 1.5 Mbps internet, IMHO a 1.5 Mbps stream will always be very poor quality. There will never be a great picture and audio on that minimal of a bandwidth. A Normal OTA feed of HD will be 15Mbps not 1.5. This is too big of compression to be of good quality. H264 rips of 5-10Mbps are better but still only 720p quality.
I hope things get better otherwise I will be sticking with the old fashioned HD FTA Charlie. I hope they keep support for it around and they don't force everyone to IPTV.
I will change my review once I see changes in quality in picture and sound....
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Remember that the cost of the service is an extra $38 at the moment..... other providers to delivery 720/576 stream they charge a lot more....still there is a difference compared to hd receiver...I said this long time ago in mother/sister website forum and they told me.."I'm not qualified....??????" (qualified ???....to watch TV?????)......well they are going to deal with same comments now....
Other providers also they give you good test, so you purchase all year subscription to save some $$$$, but then they drop you to an unwatchable speed (0,3 - 0,4 Mbits/s). -This will never happen @ NFPS....
Good quality video is delivered around 1,2 Mbits/s or more.
Zensat

coolfiger
02-13-2015, 05:08 PM
posting from the caribbean

The service is outstanding thus far.. audio could be better but beggers aren't choosers

the cost of this service and the quality is what will make you guys big keep up the great work.