View Full Version : The East (2013)

crazed 9.6
04-17-2021, 10:51 AM
The East (2013)

Director: Zal Batmanglij
Writer: Zal Batmanglij, Brit Marling
Stars: Brit Marling, Alexander Skarsgård, Elliot Page

Crime/Drama

The film follows Brit Marling's character, Jane Owen who is an undercover security agent.
Brit also co-wrote and co-produced this movie.
Her job is to infiltrate an eco-terrorsst group known as The East.
The East have publicly targeted massive corporations for their crimes against humans and nature.

This is quite an old movie but caught my eye due to 'tarzan' being in this and as well as Brit Marling. She is impressive.

But I thought this movie could have had more potential, given it's genru. But it seemed to be more attentive to the eco-terrirsit group and their back stories and their current way of live (which was living in an abandoned house out in the woods).
Our hero, undercover agent Jane Owen, gets caught up in it all and begins to see things as they may be and not as they are thru the eyes of the corporations, including big pharma ... who is the corp The East have targeted in this particular frame of time.

Noticed I said 'who' and not 'which' ?
That is because a corporation is seen as a person in the eyes of the law. That is partly why a corporation can get away with lots of nasty stuff.
The share holders and CEOs don't get sued or held accountable, the corporation does because its seen as a person .... (true facts) :eek:

Anyway, the plot slowly drags on.

Elliot Page is in this.
I never really cared for her acting. In this flic she is part of The East. Does she bring anything extra to the movie ? Not really, but we do get to find out her secrets as to her reasons for joining The East group.
I do apologies for the misgender mistake (Elliot at one time was known as Ellen), .. AND in all fairness to my 'mistake' ... all of Page's acting done to date was done as a woman, as is the same in this movie.

Alexander Skarsgård is the leader of The East... and during most of the movie he seems more like a Charles Manson type, more so then a serious leader of a potentially serious group.
Not his best role :(

2 thumbs up out of 5

Prolly should have gotten only 1 thumb, but .... with Brit Marling being the writer/producer and also the main character was impressive :)

Bad or not so bad ?
You decide :)

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjEyNjQzMzg5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjExNzU1OQ@@._ V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg