PDA

View Full Version : Direct Line/No Router

handwarmer
05-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Can I run directly from my internet to my AVOV ?
And not use a router -- ?
thanks ..

BIO
05-28-2015, 08:15 PM
Depends on your setup, but why would you want to?

If you use coax internet there is a chance you cannot- if your provider bound your connection to your pc mac address.

If you use a simple single port dsl modem it will most likely work.

If you have a wireless of satellite connection it's up in the air.

IMHO, get yourself a router and be able to network your pc, stbs, and other devices at once. Ebay is cheap if money is tight FYI

handwarmer
05-28-2015, 10:45 PM
What happened is: I ordered an AVOV 2 from --- and they were having licensing issues, so they sent me a complimentary AVOV 1 - - they actually arrived within a couple days of each other. I had the 1 hooked up, then, unhooked it and hooked up the AVOV 2. It was working fine -- but, wanted to try and use them both -- so, moved the 2 to another TV .. but -- could not get the IP address to pull in the "correct" IP address .. so, thought I'd just skip the wifi on it and use a hardwire/Ethernet .. hooked it up, turned off the wifi on THIS unit . .still could not get it working.

I do have a Router - -but -- I'm in the process of changing internet services, so - -at the moment I have two internet services -- so, thought I'd just run a hard wire to the AVOV 2 via the internet service that will eventually go away in a couple weeks .. esp., since I couldn't get the unit to work {again} with either the wifi or hooking up a hard wire and the Ethernet.
thanks !!

Marley
05-29-2015, 04:30 AM
cant you add the ip address you want

handwarmer
05-29-2015, 04:17 PM
cant you add the ip address you want

I went into the 'Ethernet" setup, and changed it from DHCP to Static, then, input the IP address, sub-net and gateway info [left the DNS blank] then, changed it back to DHCP and exited out hoping that would do it .. [this was when I had it hard wired from using Ethernet and the router]. Still, would not connect to the internet.
That's when I tried to just go direct from the soon to be turned off other internet service, but still would not connect.

Only thing - -other than I have no idea why I can't get it to work with the Ethernet and or straight wired without a router - is, I have the AVOV 1 in the same room .. and it's working just fine -- And it's not that I don't like the AVOV 2, but, I think its 50/50 for tv/movies and games. Hand too arthritic for games, so, really don't need it for that.

Still, it would seem to me that even if I use the same router, and #1 via WiFi and #2 using Ethernet, it should work .. but, perhaps my thought processes are out of whack -- a good possibility!

K00lKatT
05-29-2015, 06:38 PM
try the google DNS in that field..... 8.8.8.8

Marley
05-29-2015, 08:16 PM
you should learn how to use kodi on avov2 now wifi or Ethernet works fine did you add you password to the wifi setup