PDA

View Full Version : Mag 254 Freezing

mag10
12-15-2016, 09:17 PM
Hey Guys

Firstly thank you for having me on your forum, very helpful!

Having a few problems with my mag 254 box,

Everything setup, portal added etc

Certain channels are freezing every 30 seconds or so. But on my firestick (same provider) the same channels run perfectly, no freezing etc so I know it's not coming from my providers side.

Must have something wrong in my setup,

Currently using firmware from Friday sept 30 2016 0.2.18-r16a2-254

Video set to 1080p-60
Graphic res 1280x720

TV is a full HD samsung

Is there something I am doing wrong? Or maybe some more settings I need to alter?

Thank you in advance

redbaron
12-16-2016, 12:52 AM
The last update I see is Fri Jan 15 2016 Version 218 R 14

mag10
12-16-2016, 08:13 PM
Hi mate, just rolled the update back to that firmware hoping it would fix it but no joy. I was concerned that my box might be a clone but I checked the serial with informir and it is an original. It is so strange as my firestick is flawless on the same channels as my mag, but the mag freezes every 30 secs or so.

Is there something I am missing? Everything is hard wired (Ethernet) and a decent internet connection. Positive it's not from my providers side as the firestick hasn't lagged or buffered once.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

AviatorJA
12-17-2016, 04:16 PM
Hi, I am having almost identical problems !

i went on a popular video site and found a tutorial that said the problem is the buffering size in Advanced Settings.

So, i began adjusting the size between 0 - 15 and restarting the portal after every change but no matter what i did nothing changed ! In fact, it got worse!

AviatorJA
12-17-2016, 04:20 PM
Then i found a buffer size in ms in the inner portal and adjusted it from 0 to 3000. Now then sports channel i was usint as a guage is finally playing better. I also changed the DNS to Googles DNS. Hope it helps.

gelima
12-27-2016, 05:33 PM
Hello!! Exactly the same problem here...I have a SmartDNS service..should I be changing DNS to google DNS? Is there a way to disable the wireless connection in my MAG 254 and stuck to Ethernet only?

mag10
12-31-2016, 04:05 PM
Hey Guys, still having major problems with my mag 254, freezing all the time. Amazingly my trusty firestick seems to put the mag 254 to shame performance wise.
So far I have tried the following
re-set router/modem
changed dns to 8.8.8.8
upped buffer size to 3000 ms
changed HDMI cable
Changed ethernet cable
changed resolution settings
tested with no other devices online.

Very strange as I am sure it is not my provider as when it freezes I channel switch and it comes back on freeze free, I also switch to the same stream on my firestick and it is flawless.

I have done a speed test with the following results
70 mbps DL speed
16 ms ping

I am at a complete loss, so far it has been the worst investment I have made in a long time. Non stop issues.

Is there anything else I can try? Or some other settings I can use?

mag10
01-09-2017, 10:47 PM
hey guys, can anyone help?