PDA

View Full Version : Morning Report: Urijah Faber says Conor McGregor has 'the instincts to

jetta
04-14-2015, 12:15 AM
Morning Report mma news: Urijah Faber says Conor McGregor has 'the instincts and willingness to give up'

Urijah Faber faces Frankie Edgar May 16 in Manilla, but he's already setting himself up for another moneyweight fight against No. 1 UFC featherweight contender Conor McGregor.

Faber admits he'd be oversized against McGregor, but says he already has him beat where it counts.

"The good thing is, he does give up, and I don't," Faber told FOX Sports.

McGregor has only been beaten twice in 19 professional bouts, but Faber reads a lot into those losses. Both came via submission and Faber believes McGregor showed his true colors when he tapped to a kneebar in 2008.

"I wouldn't mind fighting Conor," said Faber. "I'll tell you what -- he's got something that a lot of guys don't have. Something a guy like me doesn't have, a guy like Chad Mendes doesn't have, a guy like Frankie Edgar doesn't have, and that's the instincts and willingness to give up when he's about to get knee barred. I wouldn't give up. Come on ... His knee was in danger of having some pain inflicted on it and he was like, 'I'm out.'"

McGregor faces UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo July 11 at UFC 189 in las Vegas, Nevada.

Faber took an onslaught of abuse from Aldo in 2010 when he challenged for the Brazilian's title at WEC 48 in Sacramento, California. Faber could hardly stand after enduring five rounds of Aldo's leg kicks.

Calling McGregor "a very talented guy," Faber says the Irishman "gives up" if "his body is in danger."

"Can you teach that? Can you take that away? I don't think so. That's an instinct. He will give up."