PDA

View Full Version : MAC addresses

toyz4tv
02-19-2015, 03:08 AM
Hey guys I'm wondering something.. What's gonna happen when this service is fully running and some people will be using stb emulators on Android or other apps to simulate the mag stalker system.
Can't there be duplicate MACs? How is NFPS/ROCKET going to deal with that? Doesn't their panel detect duplicates? Wouldn't people be able to just clone their MAC and watch on several devices?
How is that going to affect paid subscribers using emulators?
Just something I thought of now trying to setup stb emulator.

DarkSide
02-19-2015, 03:10 AM
im sure theyre working it out... i know there is going to be two types of authentication, mac address and donation number...

Goldyflix
02-19-2015, 04:44 AM
Remember... Its an open trial/beta so when the authentication might go into effect the stb emulatot might stop working... And the reason lots of server dont allow the stb emulator to run its for that same reason... Imagine an stb emulator running with x mac adrss , a mag254 try to connect with exact same mac ... The mag254 is left out... No way to get the service or to change the mac addrss on the mag254 , the other way arround is easy you just switch up the mac on the stb emu and done... If there going to choose mac authentification... They probably will.. Stb emu might get shut out.. And thats all the android devices... We can only wait and see..

DarkSide
02-19-2015, 05:02 AM
that is true, but if they use 2 authentication methods, it should work.. only time will tell

toyz4tv
02-19-2015, 05:26 AM
How would they know if you're using the stb emulator or a mag device?

DarkSide
02-19-2015, 05:33 AM
C/P From NFPS

you have a good point and recommendations but to prevent this kind of issue we are planning to implement 2 authentication methods:

- MAC Address
- Username and Password, the same donation number for both like we do for IKS.

So don't worry about it.

im not sure how, but im sure they got it under control

Marley
02-19-2015, 06:31 AM
yea you clone a mac address all day long and they know that been talking about that a long time now lets wait and see

moskivb
02-19-2015, 01:07 PM
If the cloned boxes use one IP address the will have a hard time to fetch.

Dazed_Again
02-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Hey guys I'm wondering something.. What's gonna happen when this service is fully running and some people will be using stb emulators on Android or other apps to simulate the mag stalker system.
Can't there be duplicate MACs? How is NFPS/ROCKET going to deal with that? Doesn't their panel detect duplicates? Wouldn't people be able to just clone their MAC and watch on several devices?
How is that going to affect paid subscribers using emulators?
Just something I thought of now trying to setup stb emulator.

Imo, any STB (other than a Mag) that has a mac address and uses an emulator would work. But Please correct me if im wrong

dara
02-21-2015, 05:28 PM
The first 6 hexdigits of a MAC determine the manufacturer of the network device. It would be nice if those that are using the emulator on an android or PC would stick to their actual MAC addresses to minimize the chance of cloning to another registered MAC. When the service goes live, I hope that the first 6 digits are not ignored by the validation algorithm, to also reduce the chance of duplicate MACs.

Sat-is-fied
02-21-2015, 06:52 PM
If testing the service during trail is done no a pc emulator and the mac address is used, can it be transfer to box later?

dara
02-21-2015, 07:05 PM
If testing the service during trail is done no a pc emulator and the mac address is used, can it be transfer to box later?

Probably not to a MAG Linux box like a 250 or 254, as those MACs are hardware encoded.

Marley
02-21-2015, 07:15 PM
thats why i think only that kind of box will work not emulator hope i"m wrong on this will see soon

Sat-is-fied
02-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Probably not to a MAG Linux box like a 250 or 254, as those MACs are hardware encoded.
wouldn't the subscription code be the changed factor? I am confused. Wouldn't that happen on the server side?

dara
02-21-2015, 08:33 PM
I don't know how this will be implemented, but a donation number, as well as the MAC should be enough to make a unique key. I guess the middleware will need the donation number from the client software, and hopefully the same method will be available for the MAGs as well as the android emulator.

wangster71
02-28-2015, 08:34 PM
If I am using this emulated using a FireTV and want to sign up for a private server, am I better off giving them the mac address I made up or the actual mac address of the device? even though the initial 6 digits won't match with the mag250 or mag254 mac addresses? for when this free trial is over.

dara
02-28-2015, 09:09 PM
If I am using this emulated using a FireTV and want to sign up for a private server, am I better off giving them the mac address I made up or the actual mac address of the device? even though the initial 6 digits won't match with the mag250 or mag254 mac addresses? for when this free trial is over.

With emulation, there is always going to be a chance for duplication for MACs to a real MAG. The server won't know if your MAC is real or not unless it figures out that it's connected to a emulator, so it probably won't matter. Validation may resolve the chance of duplication, making it less likely that you will hit a MAC that is owned by someone else, but we don't know that yet.