Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junoir Member

Down Is my internet server blocking me?

Hello,
    I need a techs help. I bought 5 MAG-254's and originally, all worked well. After 2 months of service, now all of a sudden, all 5 will load normally, and all 5 limit me to less than 2 minutes of service, both on any channel of TV and on Video Club. To rephrase, I can watch any channel of TV or any movie on the Video Club for only 1 to 2 minutes before the screen goes black. Pushing the home button brings the menu back up and I can choose the same channel or another channel, and watch that channel for up to 2 minutes before the TV again goes black. I should also add that I have tried all of these boxes at 2 different locations and they work flawlessly, it is only my house these fail.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Jimae; 09-15-2015 at 05:58 PM.

if you have valid donations w/linked mac's, I would say and it's just a guess, that you are being blocked or loosing your connection..very curious
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for shooting the other for fun"...Army marching cadence

Junoir Member
    I do have a valid donation, and the correct mac numbers have all been entered correctly, and it all worked for a few months before this started failing. I get no notices of lost connection on the screen, it just goes black after less than 2 minutes, but all boxes work fine at two other locations.
    You would think that if the server was blocking me, it wouldn't even let me connect to the site, let alone give me up to 2 minutes of usage, right?
    I am stumped. YouTube works on it though.
    Last edited by Jimae; 09-15-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimae View Post
    I do have a valid donation, and the correct mac numbers have all been entered correctly, and it all worked for a few months before this started failing. I get no notices of lost connection on the screen, it just goes black after less than 2 minutes, but all boxes work fine at two other locations.
    You would think that if the server was blocking me, it wouldn't even let me connect to the site, let alone give me up to 2 minutes of usage, right?
    I am stumped. Netflix works on it though.
    Who is your ISP? I know some ISPs will sell you unlimited usage but they have a clause in the agreement to throttle your bandwith if you exceed a certain limit. I would call them and ask stupid and just ask whats going on with your speed. you can also do a speed test online to verify you are getting what you pay for.

Junoir Member
    My speed according to speedtest.net is 9.73/3.66 for Century Link, whom I pay for 10 mgs. All computers and printers are shut down, the MAG254 is the only thing running. I am baffled. And why would Youtube work?

My speed according to speedtest.net is 9.73/3.66 for Century Link, whom I pay for 10 mgs. All computers and printers are shut down, the MAG254 is the only thing running. I am baffled. And why would Youtube work?
    What if you bypass your network router and just go straight to the modem with a cat5? Strange indeed.

youtube working means you're not losing your connection..
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for shooting the other for fun"...Army marching cadence

centurylink for me has been very good service...just FYI

Junoir Member
    I am going to throw a monkey wrench into the mix here. Probably should have said this before, but I live in an apartment complex that supplies all apartments with 10 mg internet from century link. On top of that, this complex is tied in with a few other complex's on one internet system that corporate pays for and controls. So I have no modem as such. I have a wired feed from the wall of my living room and a wireless feed that works anywhere in the 5 story apartment complex for my laptop. They take all MAC numbers of printers, computers, and anything else like my smart phone, and activate them, as they did a few months ago with all 5 MAG's and they all worked well (using them one at a time of course) for a few months, and then this all happened. I do apologize for not bringing that forth sooner
    Last edited by Jimae; 09-15-2015 at 07:27 PM.

I am going to throw a monkey wrench into the mix here. Probably should have said this before, but I live in an apartment complex that supplies all apartments with 10 mg internet from century link. On top of that, this complex is tied in with a few other complex's on one internet system that corporate pays for and controls. So I have no modem as such. I have a wired feed from the wall of my living room and a wireless feed that works anywhere in the 5 story apartment complex for my laptop. They take all MAC numbers of printers, computers, and anything else like my smart phone, and activate them, as they did a few months ago with all 5 MAG's and they all worked well (using them one at a time of course) for a few months, and then this all happened. I do apologize for not bringing that forth sooner
    Ahha yup, that changes things. who ever manages your network could technically put your mag macs on a QOS that limits their bandwidth, time to find the IT guys and buy him a 6 pack... or hack into it yourself and see what's going on with the network.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast