Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    This is Fantastic! ... info Captain...Keep up the Great work.

This Week’s Sky at a Glance, November 13 – 21
    By: Alan MacRobert | November 13, 2015

Monday, November 16

• This is the time of year when the dim Little Dipper extends to the left from Polaris just as twilight ends. If you can't see the Little Dipper's 4th- and 5th-magnitude stars, at least you can see 2nd-magnitude Kochab and 3rd-magnitude Pherkad, "the Guardians of the Pole," at the end of the Little Dipper's bowl some 17° to Polaris's left. That's nearly two fists at arm's length. Farther left lies the arched back of Draco.
    Tuesday, November 17
    • The typically weak Leonid meteor shower is likely to peak late tonight: from about midnight local time until dawn Wednesday morning. Good luck.
    Wednesday, November 18
    • The brightest star on the northeastern side of the November evening sky is Capella, magnitude zero. It's below Perseus. Look well to its right (about three fists at arm's length) for the Pleiades, the size of your fingertip at arm's length. Below the Pleiades blinks orange Aldebaran.
    Thursday, November 19
    • Orion is now clearing your eastern horizon by about 8 p.m. (depending on how far east or west you live in your time zone). Aldebaran is high above Orion. Above Aldebaran are the Pleiades. Aldebaran and the Pleiades always serve as Orion's early announcers.

Friday, November 20
    • Whenever Fomalhaut is "southing" (crossing the meridian due south, which it does around 7 p.m. this week), the first stars of Orion are just about to rise in the east, and the Pointers of the Big Dipper stand directly below Polaris (for skywatchers in the world's mid-northern latitudes).
    • Before dawn tomorrow morning, look east for bright Jupiter and brighter Venus. Between them is little orange Mars. Look carefully; very close to Mars is the 4th-magnitude star Eta Virginis. The two may appear less than 0.1° apart depending on where you are.
    Saturday, November 21
    • After dark these nights, Altair is the brightest star in the west-southwest. Look upper left of it, by barely more than a fist at arm's length, for the delicate little constellation Delphinus, the Dolphin. To Altair's upper right by a lesser distance is little Sagitta, the Arrow.

This Week's Planet Roundup

Mercury is hidden in superior conjunction with the Sun.
    Planets before dawn, Nov. 14, 2015
    Before dawn begins the Jupiter-Mars-Venus line shines especially bright, but Spica is still low.

Venus, Mars, and Jupiter continue their display in the east before and during dawn, but they're drawing farther apart. Venus is the brightest at magnitude –4.4. Jupiter, higher, is –1.9, and Mars, between them, is much fainter at +1.6.
    Watch the line lengthen this week. Venus is descending; Jupiter and Mars are moving higher. And so is Spica; look for it well below Venus, more or less in line with the planets.

Saturn (magnitude +0.6) is hidden deep in the afterglow of sunset.
    Uranus (magnitude +5.7, in Pisces) and Neptune (magnitude +7.8, in Aquarius) are high in the southern sky during evening.

sky&telescope
    Last edited by Capt.Kangaroo; 11-17-2015 at 02:06 AM.
    I gather darkness to please me...

Leonid meteor shower: When, where, and how to watch

THE SHOW SHOULD PEAK AROUND MIDNIGHT ON TUESDAY ON BOTH U.S. COASTS—AND EVERYWHERE IN BETWEEN

On Tuesday, November 17, the Leonid meteor shower will hit its peak. The annual event, caused by bits of ice and rock burning in Earth’s atmosphere, will create a host of shooting stars above the eastern horizon around midnight in the U.S. (local time on both coasts, when the constellation Leo rises). Here’s our guide to the shower.
    Where To Look, And When
    Any single meteor might appear anywhere, but for the most part Tuesday’s shooting stars will appear to come from the constellation Leo—hence, “Leonids.” Leo will rise above the eastern horizon at about midnight. But meteors will be visible even before then. So if you're in the U.S. and the skies are clear, head out any time after sunset and look east. Try to find a dark site away from street lights, or better yet, away from cities altogether.

Likely Awesomeness Rating: Medium
    The Leonids peak every three decades, and this shower comes mid-cycle—the last peak was in 1998. So we won’t see a phenomenal number of shooting stars. (If you’re bummed about that, console yourself with some of the illustrations of the famous 1833 Leonid meteor storm—a pretty incredible event.) This year, NASA predicts we’ll see one meteor about every four minutes.
    That’s a moderate rate. But in this year’s favor, the moon will be a crescent, which means a darker sky that makes streaks of light easier to spot. Strike against: the current cloud-cover forecast predicts overcast skies for a good fraction of the U.S. that night.
    Why Now?
    The Leonids happen every year around November 17. That’s when the Earth passes through the cloud of debris left behind by the comet Tempel-Tuttle. Don’t worry about an actual impact—Tempel-Tuttle is currently further than Uranus. We’re just crossing its orbit. There’s no chance we’ll hit the comet itself.

Tempel-Tuttle’s debris cloud is actually pretty big. The shower will peak Tuesday night, but we’ll still see more meteors than usual the rest of the month. So if it’s cloudy on November 17, keep your eyes on the sky when it clears again. You’ll have another chance to make your wish on a shooting star.

By Katie Peek
    popsci.com
    Last edited by Capt.Kangaroo; 11-17-2015 at 04:25 AM.

Pinball Wizard
    Awesome thanks!!!

this is cool

Code:
    http://imgur.com/EIJwf3P
    Two of the greatest qualities
    to have in live are:

PATIENCE
    and
    WISDOM

Pinball Wizard
    cool video Farmer!!

Sky & Nature...

some nite pics also featuring the sky, combining nature and the sky...
    credit for all photos to Dan Zarlenga, of the MO Dept of Consv.

30-12-2015.jpgCastor River Shut-Ins showing part of the Milky Way

34-12-2015.jpgTower Rock Nature Area on the Mississippi River, lunar eclipse

38-12-2015.jpgOzark Trail

31881_cover.jpgPickle Springs Nature Area w/Milky Way
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for shooting the other for fun"...Army marching cadence

Very cool.
    Thanks KK...

my pleasure...got tons of em...
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for shooting the other for fun"...Army marching cadence

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    I must not forget, we must not forget, that we are human beings.
    - Ren

Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast