Page 33 of 53 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Space Pics v.3

Leonids and Friends

Leonid meteors rained down on planet Earth this week, the annual shower of dusty debris from the orbit of Comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle. Leonids streak through this composite night skyview from a backyard observatory in southern Ontario. Recorded with camera fixed to a tripod, the individual frames capture the bright meteor activity throughout the night of November 16/17, about a day before the shower's very modest peak. The frames are registered to the fixed field of view, so the meteor trails are not all aligned to the background star field recorded that evening when Orion stood above the southern horizon. As a result, the trails don't appear to point back to the shower's radiant in Leo, situated off the left edge of the star field frame. In fact, some trails could be of Taurid meteors, a shower also active in November, or even sporadic meteors, including a bright fireball with its reflection near the horizon.

Image Credit & Copyright: Malcolm Park (North York Astronomical Association)
    I gather darkness to please me...

that's cool
    Two of the greatest qualities
    to have in live are:

PATIENCE
    and
    WISDOM

yep, great pic...
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for shooting the other for fun"...Army marching cadence

few more yrs and will see picture in a new light and i really think they will find life soon

Pinball Wizard
    Makes me want to go out camping!!Nice pic!!

Recycling NGC 5291

Following an ancient galaxy-galaxy collision 200 million light-years from Earth, debris from a gas-rich galaxy, NGC 5291, was flung far into intergalactic space. NGC 5291 and the likely interloper, also known as the "Seashell" galaxy, are captured near the center of this spectacular scene. The sharp, ground-based telescopic image looks toward the galaxy cluster Abell 3574 in the southern constellation Centaurus. Stretched along the 100,000 light-year long tidal tails, are clumps resembling dwarf galaxies, but lacking old stars, apparently dominated by young stars and active star forming regions. Found to be unusually rich in elements heavier than hydrogen and helium, the dwarf galaxies were likely born in intergalactic space, recycling the enriched debris from NGC 5291 itself.

Image Credit & Copyright: CHART32 Team, Processing - Johannes Schedler

that is a excellent picture captain,with lots of details ,great.

Pinball Wizard
    Last night was a great night for sky gazing!!!Clear skies and endless wonder!!!

Planets of the Morning

Planet Earth's horizon stretches across this recent Solar System group portrait, seen from the southern hemisphere's Las Campanas Observatory. Taken before dawn it traces the ecliptic with a line-up familiar to November's early morning risers. Toward the east are bright planets Venus, Mars, and Jupiter as well as Regulus, alpha star of the constellation Leo. Of course the planets are immersed in the faint glow of zodiacal light, visible from the dark site rising at an angle from the horizon. Sometimes known as the false dawn, it's no accident the zodiacal light and planets both lie along the ecliptic. Formed in the flattened protoplanetary disk, the Solar System's planet's all orbit near the ecliptic plane, while dust near the plane scatters sunlight, the source of the faint zodiacal glow.

Image Credit & Copyright: Yuri Beletsky (Carnegie Las Campanas Observatory, TWAN)
    Last edited by Capt.Kangaroo; 11-26-2015 at 05:48 AM.

great pic, Capn.....almost surreal...
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for shooting the other for fun"...Army marching cadence

Page 33 of 53 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast