Warrior Member

What Is Multicast?

One of the setting is Multicast. What is Multicast?

Warrior Member
    Doing some research I found this. I think it explains some of my question.

Internet Protocol (IP) multicast is a bandwidth-conserving technology that reduces traffic by simultaneously delivering a single stream of information to thousands of corporate recipients and homes; applications that take advantage of multicast include videoconferencing, corporate communications, distance learning, and distribution of software, stock quotes, and news

HTML Code:
    https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog44/presentations/Sunday/McBride_iptv_N44.pdf
    If anyone's interested.

Well like you I too wondered about this Multicast option. I like your technical insights but... how does it apply to use with IPTV?

It doesn't unless you are using multiple boxes off one internet system in a community or hotel type situation. (for example)

Multicast IP Routing protocols are used to distribute data (for example, audio/video streaming broadcasts) to multiple recipients. Using multicast, a source can send a single copy of data to a single multicast address, which is then distributed to an entire group of recipients.
    Typical example is Rocket IPTV server.

Unicast technology can be used in all cable networks, can work through peering without building special ties, It does not need a separate VLAN ( although it is possible, if the operator wishes to provide the prioritization of IPTV traffic ), it is possible to use the local headend ( satellite receiver or any other available source of television signals ) to further reduce the need for long-distance transmission, intelligent redundancy : in case of restreamer, source channel or even the relationship between restreamer and within seconds the user is redirected to another restreamer
    Last edited by xbmcbg; 07-26-2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: adding info

Warrior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xbmcbg View Post

Unicast technology can be used in all cable networks, can work through peering without building special ties, It does not need a separate VLAN ( although it is possible, if the operator wishes to provide the prioritization of IPTV traffic ), it is possible to use the local headend ( satellite receiver or any other available source of television signals ) to further reduce the need for long-distance transmission, intelligent redundancy : in case of restreamer, source channel or even the relationship between restreamer and within seconds the user is redirected to another restreamer
    Kind of like the way promo channels send us from there stream to another?

Yes, This means that the operator using the platform as a service , remote control, without having to invest in equipment, software, or maintenance of the place.