It’s still early for Android - based TV set - top boxes

We went for a test drive AVOV VOXIO 2 - below I will do something like review of this particular device , but I advise you to read it if you are interested in principle from the combination Android + TV because most things are valid for all devices of this class .
    Parameters sounded tempting , and we hoped to be able to run STB emulator and we can use it as a set - top box for TV. Unfortunately will not happen . Here disadvantages , most of which apply to all similar Android - based devices .

- Although HDMI output can operate up to 1080p, Android kernel supports up to 720p. We have not found a HDMI stick or STB into android whose kernel is Full HD, this was no exception . It should try to unofficial ROM. We will find and test later
    - Hardware Video Decoder does not support deinterlacing. This is no exception - we have not come across with Android hardware maintenance of deinterlace, and quad processor is not sufficient to allow software to decode HD channels . STB emulator works properly with embedded software player, but pleaded an SD television . For HD should include hardware acceleration , which automatically leads to the indentation caused by lack of deintrelace.
    It notes that there is no television channel that is progresive (1080p). Even full-hd television , every one , without exception, are 1080i (interlaced). Interlaced means the picture arrives at a field two - one with the even lines and then another with odd . This is from the times of CRT and it is unclear when it will change.
    If your TV is not CRT (Cathode ray tube) , someone must become the image of the "i" in "p" (de-Interlacing). If the connection device - TV is 1080i, this is one TV , but if 1080p - the device does deinterlace before giving the signal to the TV. Yes, but Android boxes do not support 1080i output , and even TV does deinterlace, if the input comes 1080p, so in this case no one converts the image of the two television a field in a single frame. When moving , the images appear as cut comb.
    By curiosity spent image receiver in the famous DCDi processor Faroudja (Harman-Kardon), but non- interleysnat Deteriorated image could be fine , stay , rugged . I.e. even if you have a TV with integrated high-end video processor , spoiled image will remain broken. Perhaps the untrained eye will not see the difference , but for us in the category of " not going to watch "
    As I said above two defect at least until proved inherent in all Android devices that have passed through our hands ( tablets, sticks , STB), including original MAG 260 .
    AVOV VOXIO 2 offers a way for audio playback - HDMI. Via HDMI in theory can play Dolby Digital (AC3) and DTS 5.1 mode pass-through, but in practice it proved extremely difficult . After much trial and error proved , HDMI pass multi-channel audio, ONLY if used H / W codec , but not H / W +. If the application can choose between the H / W and H / W +, may be able to spend 5.1 audio, but if not - do not try , will not happen.
    Conclusion: it is still early for Android - based TV set - top boxes . Games and mltimediya - maybe it ( it 's the right word) , but television - a firm NO . In 2015, we will continue to watch TV with specialized devices for this purpose if we want to have a quality picture.

Here is information on what is deinterlacing, and why it is important how the picture looks if not made or made poor :
    Code:
    http://www.100fps.com/
    I will be happy to hear the opinion of David from team's AVOV . Please people who have no idea what's in the topic does not take a position.

Banned
    I think this is a very interesting topic. I will be lying if I said I didn't have to do some research before responding. I unfortunately still do not know enough about the android systems to be able to offer technical insight behind the boxes. I'm not exactly the best person for this debate haha. Anyway from what I understand the android systems are actually capable of handling 1080p output and it is not an issue with the kernal. For example take a look at the output from the google nexus player which is literally an android tv box. I believe this problem comes when you run into android STB focused on Kodi or Live tv. From my understanding most of the boxes have Kodi on them and can handle 1080p output. The issue is even with quad core processing, many of these boxes suffer significant performance loss when trying to run the Kodi GUI along with the 1080p decryption. For this reason many manufacturers cap the image quality at 720p to avoid consumer backlash for "poor system performance." When looking at applications such as netflix or hulu we do see many of these boxes running native 1080p and doing a fine job at it. I'm not to sure about the interlacing but from a first glance it seems great to me and definitely seems great for many many consumers. I still believe android systems have some hurdles that they need to face but they are making vast improvements and quickly. We have only really seen a rise in android STBs in the past year (or two) and there are still many issues that need to be addressed before it can overtake the market. I think it is accurate to say it is early for Android STBs for now, but I do not think it is too early to be an adopter. Sure there are some graphical issues that are present in the system, but no STB comes without its flaws. The MAG series have been out for many years now and have had the time to correct those problems. I'm sure they ran into similar issues while they were just picking up steam. There are many advantages to the android systems in comparison to other platforms. There is a huge reason the android platform dominates the mobile market and there is plenty of reason for it to thrive in the IPTV market as well. Most android boxes are already very polished and provide fantastic service to their users. I think it really comes down to preference over what you prefer.

I was away for a week, but really, I expected a reasonable response from David and I am a little disappointed by his weak argumentation and general tales in the style of “Fantastico”. My post was written based on personal experience and extensive measurements of parameters from quality equipment with the use of the original signal from providers without being compressed (not talking about downloaded signals from satelliten receiver or cable TV operator ) , and also used the HD signals from OTA antenna . I hope that he makes a distinction between 1080p signal and compressed signal to 1080 SMIL, that KODI will display 1800 , but its quality is lower than the 720p signal.
    The only Android boxes that we have currently found to have a stable picture and kernel that supports 1080p are the Ugoos products. Their Android TV Boxes are made based on RK3368 64 -Bit Octa Core, Quad Core RK3288 and RK3188 Quad Core, but I must say that the effect is achieved when we use the advantage giving us from the manufacturer - to choose Linux (these boxes support Linux and Android)
    In addition, I would be happy if you specify at least one legal provider of IPTV that uses Android TV box , no matter where in the world he will be .
    I agree with you that Android TV box is easy to set up by the general public , but I suggest and you wonder why Infomir ( founders of this matter do not put any forces and capabilities in Android boxes ) - the answer is that they rely on the quality and their targets are not end users of cheap TV

It would be in your best interest to show David the respect he deserves. Enough with all the Infomir hype anyway, thks..
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for shooting the other for fun"...Army marching cadence

Junoir Member
    Hello xbmcbg

To answer you, check vmedia.ca
    They're using Android boxes and the quality of the stream is amazing.

Banned
    Тhis is an ad on another paid IPTV site and accidentally first post of this users is advertising focus on it and absent of any arguments related to the topic
    Can administrators to apply the same standards to all users who violate site rules?