Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crazed 9.6 View Post
    I think I was 13 or 14 years old when the Stones released their 'Some Girls' studio album.
    It would become the best selling album in the USA in 1978.

At our school we had convinced the guy that ran the lunch time entertainment over the school's audio system that he just had to play the 'Some Girls' track.
    If yous all remember the song lyrics, well it wasn't really ideal for children to be listening to, but of course we as children knew best
    The audio guy was later fired from his 'job'
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKOr0yzZcro
    I saw them in Cleveland in '78,Orchard Park in '81 and Wheel Chair Tour in Toronto in '89.

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    Another gem of an album from Pink Floyd

The Final Cut

This was the band's founding member Rodger Waters, last time with the band.
    The album was first conceived as a compilation to the band's most successful album The Wall, which was released just a year or two earlier.
    But with Britain entering into the Falklands war at the time, Waters drove the album concept towards that instead.
    Some said that the songs/lyrics were too dark, but Waters insisted and the album was produced and released in 1983

I absolutely love this album and could listen to it all day, any day, every day

'The Gunner's Dream' may be my favorite song from the album, but everyone of them is some fantastic work.
    Along with the title song, 'The Final Cut' ... just fantastic !

These two songs are connected/related, as is the whole album is a story. As are most all Floyd albums.
    You can not try to figure out what one song is about without listening to the complete album.

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ypsN2x8i0M&t=36s
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 07-25-2023 at 05:21 PM.
    I must not forget, we must not forget, that we are human beings.
    - Ren

Rocket Recovery Technician
    Best Rock band???

So many different ways to see that as to music progression, as to anthems, as to writing and songs, promotion!!

Aerosmith for music progression, anthems may be Iron Butterfly, Overall show and performance has to go to Pink Floyd. Straight flat out rocking to Rare Earth, best blues rock anthem to George Clinton and Parlament Funkadelic.

Man so many great groups so many so good it makes you wanna cry songs,

Moody Blues was not as promoted as a much as lot of wilder more visible groups, but their musical ability and their writing were a cut above most all of the high profile bands It was more like a symphony instead of a garage performance, the sheet music for their performances looks like an opera.

All music is great, just as all people are as many "best" as there are listeners.

Just as I do not care for rap be it Country, Ghetto, Gangstah, Christian or whatever, I have a lot of friends and family who do and a lot of the bands we do shows for are in one of those genres, the DJs we set up for are often really hardcore rapsters.

To each his own is the name of the game when you are in talking tunes.

Wing Commander
    I would put Chicago in there with there many hits and Canada's Guess Who. They would get my vote above at least 5 listed in the top 25 shown here.

Quote Originally Posted by realdeal View Post
    I would put Chicago in there with there many hits and Canada's Guess Who. They would get my vote above at least 5 listed in the top 25 shown here.
    Randy Bachman from the Guess Who and then BTO, has a radio show aired out of Manitoba, Canada (i think).
    It's a pretty good show with Randy at times revising many of the old tunes, live on air.
    I haven't listened to the show in awhile and maybe its off air now but it was Randy Bachman, live on air
    - Ren

Quote Originally Posted by 12icer View Post

Aerosmith for music progression, anthems may be Iron Butterfly, Overall show and performance has to go to Pink Floyd. Straight flat out rocking to Rare Earth, best blues rock anthem to George Clinton and Parlament Funkadelic. .
    I may now have to look up that guy George Clinton
    - Ren

Wing Commander
    Beach Boys didn't make it either. Makes you wonder what the list is based on.

Quote Originally Posted by realdeal View Post
    Beach Boys didn't make it either. Makes you wonder what the list is based on.
    lol... pretty much based on my personal pics almost rather random and based on a bunch of lists
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 08-04-2023 at 01:06 PM.
    - Ren

Rocket Recovery Technician
    I like some Beach boys songs, but they were pretty much tied to the pop culture instead of being a hardcore rock band. True enough they had a lot of hit records and if left to his preference Brian could have made them a progressive rock band.

There are a lot of successful rock and roll bands that were more monocultural and sold a lot of records, Most of them because they had a really good wide range SINGER not a crooner.

I see all kinds of people saying things about guitar players who was best etc. My pick for best guitarist is Chuck Berry, He may not have been the best guitar showman, but as for pure ONLY GUITAR no fuzz, no distortion, no electronics, """" Picking the electric Gibson 335 or 355TD He Stands Out, he could bend them strings and flat them, tap and runslide and do harmonics like very few can with the electronics,, and all while clowning, singing and dancing. My GUITAR HERO CHOICE OF THE BEST.

George Clinton was from a town close to where I lived part of the time I was in North Carolina he was from Kannapolis Like Earnhardt Racing, I lived in Winston-Salem about an hour north for a while.

Parliament Funkadelic was a no limits band with George out front.

Best drummer-Buddy Rich
    Best guitarist-Steve Vai
    Best vocals-Paul Rodgers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast