Register
    Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar

Don't try this at home... or maybe

Hey guys and gals.
    Some may have faded distant memories of me posting on how I came into computer issues or STB issues, of which usually all due to my own wrecklessness. Troubles like dropping an STB on the concrete driveway or spilling beer on my keyboard and that kind of thing.
    Just a quick fact, I quit drinking beer about 3 years ago, so spilling beer onto keyboard won't happen again... BUT I recently spilled a bunch of milk onto my laptop keyboard.
    Yes, milk !!

What a disaster. I figure that was that. Put a fork in it.
    I did use it for awhile but the keys started to stick badly and typing anything was a disaster (another disaster).

Then I thought about some WD-40 .. I had a brain fart
    After-all, WD does stand for Water Displacement. While this is milk and not water I figured what the heck. And the full spray of the WD may clean up the crusty dried milk.

I do know what it looks like under the keyboard, it's a bunch of small suction cups on top of a circuit board. The cups are placed at every key and by depressing the key will put pressure on the suction cup and thus activating the circuit for that particular key.
    I know this because of previous times I spilled beer or other beverage and got out the screwdriver and took apart the keyboard.
    Warning, do not do this unless you have lots of patience, because them suction cups are abundant (one for every key), and can turn into a real mess

So I took the laptop outside along with a fresh can of WD-40.
    Placing the laptop on it's side I then sprayed the keyboard, I really sprayed it alot too. Then left it upside down for maybe 15 minutes.

Wiped it down and let it air dry for awhile longer and then checked for results. Well the mouse pad was messed up and the onscreen pointer was all confused too. But the keys of which most were stuck before, now began to work. And eventually the mouse pad dried out and is working fine now too.
    All keys are working fine again. It is fixed
    Except for the smell of WD-40, but I suspect that will go away after some time, hopefully a short time.

So before you throw that sticky keyboard in the bin, get out that WD-40 and go to town.

*tip number 5879

Disclaimer:
    Don't try this unless it's a last resort. Or try it as a first resort. It's your equipment so it's your call. This laptop here is working fine and has been working fine since I sprayed it with the WD and gave it a while to totally dry out
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 10-02-2023 at 08:44 PM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

good job crazed
    Two of the greatest qualities
    to have in live are:

PATIENCE
    and
    WISDOM

3 Time Nascar Pool Winner 4me2c's Avatar
    LMAO, Always Knew WD was good for more than Loosening Nuts..!!!
    WWJD...!!!

cool beans.
    All information provided is for informational purposes only. Use at your own risk.

This stuff works really well also, sorry pic is huge :)

i'm an old timer who is always learning..Knowledge is Power tO survive