Register

Fire From Within

2022 NASCAR: M&Ms Fan Appreciation 400 @ Pocono (Race #21)

M&Ms Fan Appreciation 400
    Pocono Raceway
    3:00pm/et, Sunday, July 24
    Green flag: 3:22pm/et
    STAGES 30/95/160 LAPS = 400 MILES

TV: USA
    Radio: MRN, SiriusXM

Fire From Within

Picking Kyle Larson

3 Time Nascar Pool Winner 4me2c's Avatar
    4me will pick the other Kyle in the "Here's Looking At You Kid" Race Car :

WWJD...!!!

Fire From Within

Kyle Larson wins stage 1 under caution, followed by Chase Elliott and Denny Hamilin. Caution caused by Aric Almirola spinning just after the pit entrance, so he went into pit road on the back end, to avoid dragging his undercarriage by going the full trip around.
    Last edited by dara; 07-24-2022 at 07:46 PM.

Fire From Within

Kyle Busch wins stage 2, followed by Ross Chastain and Ryan Blaney.

Fire From Within

Denny Hamlin wins, followed by Kyle Busch and Chase Elliott.

Next race, Indy Road Course next Sunday.

Fire From Within

Race Results:

Good Race...!!!
    WWJD...!!!

Fire From Within

After inspections, Hamlin and Kyle Busch disqualified! Chase Elliott is declared the winner.

Last edited by dara; 07-25-2022 at 12:39 PM.

NASCAR Cup Series Managing Director Brad Moran announced the front fascia on both JGR entries was the source of the issues leading to their disqualification.

“There was some issues discovered that affect aero of the vehicle. The part was the front fascia,” Moran explained Sunday. “And there really was no reason why there was some material that was somewhere that it shouldn’t have been, and that does basically come down to a DQ.”

Moran confirmed both vehicles were loaded into a NASCAR hauler and will be taken back to the sanctioning body’s R&D center for further evaluation.

Joe Gibbs Racing will have the opportunity to appeal the penalty by noon on Monday, July 25.

“We were shocked to learn of the infraction that caused our two cars to fail NASCAR’s post-race technical inspection,” team owner Joe Gibbs said in a statement. “We plan to review every part of the process that led to this situation.”

Moran said Sunday’s discoveries in post-race inspection do not currently warrant any further penalties to the infracting teams.

“We saw enough that the DQ was warranted and we are bringing the vehicles back for further evaluation,” Moran said. “So we will look much closer at both vehicles, but as of right now, no, we are hopefully not going to find anything else. But we are going to inspect them further when we get back to the R&D Center.”

Sunday’s finding is the first instance of a race winner in the NASCAR Cup Series being disqualified since 1960, when Emanuel Zervakis’ victory at Wilson (NC) Speedway was thrown out because of an oversized fuel tank. Joe Weatherly declared winner of that race.

There have been three winners whose cars were disqualified post-race since 2019, when NASCAR implemented harsher post-race inspection penalties: Kyle Busch in 2020 at Texas in the NASCAR Xfinity Series (Austin Cindric was declared the winner); Denny Hamlin in 2019 at Darlington in the NASCAR Xfinity Series (Cole Custer was declared the winner); and Ross Chastain in 2019 at Iowa Speedway in the Truck Series (Brett Moffitt was declared the winner).

Moran believes this Sunday’s DQ was, in part, the result of a tighter rule book with the series’ move to the Next Gen vehicle.

“It’s unfortunate. We don’t want to be here talking about this,” Moran said. “We just saw a great race. The last thing we want to do is meet here afterwards and talk about this problem. But the teams and the owners and everybody is well aware that this new car was going to be kept with some pretty tight tolerances, and there’s some areas that all the teams are well aware that we cannot be going down the path that we had in the past with the other car.

“So it is partly to do with the new car and the rules have tightened up. Everyone has to abide by our new rules, which everybody’s well aware of.”
    Code:
    https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2022/07/24/nascar-disqualifies-pocono-winner-denny-hamlin-runner-up-kyle-busch/
    WWJD...!!!