Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Time Nascar Pool Winner 4me2c's Avatar

Spring Forward...

WWJD...!!!

Rocket Recovery Technician
    I hate moving the thing forward and losing an hour of sleep, I love moving it back and getting an extra hour of sleep< HEHEHEHEH>>>>>. I guess it has some meaning for someone, but it never has for me.

The hands on the clock are just a reference for a position of the sun. Eight hours work is eight hours work, day, night dusk, dawn, up, down.

I believe it used to be for farmers when they needed extra light in the field. now days we have machines, lights and technology so it should not need of changing of hour.
    All information provided is for informational purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Lol at Ryu... Farmers like Roosters don't need Watches, They gets Up with the Sun and Go to Bed when Their Work is Done...!!!
    WWJD...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2c View Post
    Lol at Ryu... Farmers like Roosters don't need Watches, They gets Up with the Sun and Go to Bed when Their Work is Done...!!!
    Well said.

Here in Saskatchewan our time never changes
    In spraying season we have already filled the sprayer and ready to roll before the sun comes up
    Two of the greatest qualities
    to have in live are:

PATIENCE
    and
    WISDOM

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    One year ago (March, 2021) some states lead by Florida, created a Bill in hopes of it passing the Senate, to make daylight saving time permanent across the country, which would end the practice of turning clocks forward in spring and back in autumn.
    They are calling it the 'Sunshine Protection Act'.

I don't know how that went, but I guess if yous are still springing ahead then it dd not go over so well, not yet anyway.

The House of Representatives would need to approve it, and President Joe Biden would have to sign it, and seems in favor of the Bill is the Senate which passed the measure unanimously, which indicated strong support.

This came to Congress before.
    In December 1973 Congress implemented permanent daylight saving time in response to an oil embargo, with the hope that it would save energy.

The idea of DST was to conserve candles and was first proposed in 1784 by Benjamin Franklin.
    Published in 'The Journal of Paris', Franklin suggested that waking up earlier in the summer would economize candle usage and calculated considerable savings.
    In reality thou, Franklin did not suggest turning back the clocks, he only suggested for people to go to bed earlier and get out of bed earlier, which would save on candle usage (according to him) and he meant as a joke.

The first thought of turning the clocks came from New Zealand scientist George Vernon Hudson and British builder William Willett, in 1895.
    Hudson presented a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society, proposing a 2-hour shift forward in October and a 2-hour shift back in March. There was interest in the idea, but it was never followed through.

Then 1908 a British Member of Parliament caught interest in Wellington's proposal and he introduced a bill to the House of Commons in February 1908.
    The first Daylight Saving Bill was drafted in 1909, presented to Parliament several times, and examined by a select committee.
    *However, many, especially farmers, opposed the idea, so the bill was never made into a law.

Willett died in 1915, the year before the United Kingdom started using DST in May 1916.
    It is not known if he was aware that his idea had become a reality seven years before his death in a small town in Ontario.

Germany and Austria were the first Countries to use DST in 1916 (just before the UK), but a small city of a few hundred people in Canada was the first to ever use it.
    In 1908 Port Arthur in Ontario, Canada, started using DST (Port Arthur is now Thunder Bay).

The 1970s energy crisis encouraged other countries to pass implement DST.
    WWll was also a reason they had for DST, to save on energy for the war effort.

Some countries observe it only in some regions: for example, parts of Canada and Australia observe it, while other parts do not.
    The United States observes it, except for the states of Hawaii and Arizona.
    Arizona's Navajo Nation does observe it thou.

Farmer's Saskatchewan was not safe from it...
    On April 23, 1914, Regina, a city in Saskatchewan implemented DST.

Before Modern times...
    Ancient civilizations are known to have engaged in practices of Daylight Savings Time thousands of years ago.
    The Roman water clocks used different scales for different months of the year to adjust the daily schedules to the solar time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That took me bout an hour (and one full beer) to gather all that information up from multiple sources

Sorry Ryu, the only report of farmers was that they opposed it in the UK ... circa 1909
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

no matter what reason but they should end this.
    no need to sorry bro as I posted what I actually directly heard from few farmers which kind of make sense vs what other stories I heard.
    at least we made you drink one bottle
    All information provided is for informational purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    no matter what reason but they should end this.
    no need to sorry bro as I posted what I actually directly heard from few farmers which kind of make sense vs what other stories I heard.
    at least we made you drink one bottle
    and Before Nascar also...!!! Good Job Ryu...!!
    WWJD...!!!

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    I been watching Curling all morning

On my marriage day years ago, I told my wive to be... that our honeymoon would ROCK !

And then I took her to a Curling match
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 03-20-2022 at 06:26 PM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

exactly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast