Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    Woman's Golf
    Nelly Korda of USA is leading going into today's final round.

Woman's Track
    Allyson Felix now has the most Olympic medals ever for a female track athlete, passing the record set by Jamaican athlete Merlene Ottey.
    Allyson Felix of the USA is the most decorated Track and Field USA Olympian of all time, tied with Carl Lewis.
    Allyson at age 45, has 10 medals in total over her 20 odd years at these events.
    This is Felix's 5th Olympics and her 10th medal. She first competed in Athens in 2004 and has medaled in every Summer Games since then.

In the 400m yesterday, Allyson takes the Bronze,
    She nor anyone else had a fighting chance for the win against Bahamas' Shaunae Miller-Uibo who powered past everyone on the home stretch to take the Gold.
    Shaunae Miller-Uibo is the defending Olympic Gold champion in the 400m , winning the gold in Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020/21

pictured overtaking Felix in Tokyo
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 08-06-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by crazed 9.6 View Post

Woman's soccer Final is just underway (live).
    Canada vs Sweden
    BUT I can't find it on any channel

I found it n Eurosports2
    1-1 score in the 2nd !!

After 90 minutes we are still tied at 1-1 and into the first Extra Time.
    After 105 minutes we are still tied at 1-1 and into the second Extra Time.

We are now @ 120 minutes with the score @ 1-1
    Sweden had the only real chances at a goal in the first two 15 minute extra times.
    From a corner kick, Sweden almost had it with a header, but went just shy of the net

So now it looks like we go to a Kick Off ??
    I think

6 Shot Playoff

Sweden kicks first but misses.
    Canada scores on their first kick but then falls behind and miss their next 3 kicks, while Sweden scores twice to go ahead by one..
    After 5 shots each, Canada had tied it @ 2-2
    One shot left for each team.

Canada wins the Playoff 3-2

and....

Gold !
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 08-06-2021 at 06:24 PM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Fire From Within

USA's Molly Seidel got the Bronze in only her third official Marathon, making her the third woman to win a medal for the USA in that discipline. She said on her Facetime with her family... "I'm so tired. Please drink a beer for me". Awesome.

USA men failed to have an individual gold medal in the track events this Olympics, making this the first time (other than the 1980 boycott) and failed to make the cut after the first heat of the 4x100. The only male to get a Gold medal in Track and Field was the Shot Putter. However, the USA women did great in track. Both the Men and Women dominated the 4x400 relay, and won gold, Allyson Felix ran the 2nd leg of the race, with Gold medalists Sydney Mcglaughlin and Athing Mu, and Silver medalist Delilah Muhammad, earning Allyson her 11th Athletics medal, passing Carl Lewis. What a great career, she can now be a mommy activist.

I did watch the Mens Basketball, where the USA got the gold medal, glad they got it, but it was a harder road for them than usual, losing to Nigeria before the games, then to the future Silver medalists France who had 5 NBA players. It was close at the end, but Kevin Durant put the team on his back and carried them to the win.

Finally, the USA should catch up with China on the gold count, just down by 2, and are leading by a wide margin on overall medals. I was hoping to see 5 gold medals for Simone Biles, but oh well. Japan did great on its medal counts too.

3 Time Nascar Pool Winner 4me2c's Avatar
    Basketball, in the Olympics allowing, Pro Players in, is one Reason, 4me doesn't really care about it anymore...!!!
    WWJD...!!!

Fire From Within

Its over, USA finishes as the country with most Gold and most Medals. I like the Olympics, but it is far from the 'amateur' games of 1896. I watch for the entertainment, the athletes are there for the participation, some do it for themselves and some idealistically for their country. Maybe the major professional team sports don't need the Olympics, but many top athletes don't compete on teams and need a venue to perform, and I think they should get financial rewards for their performance... nothing is free. Anyway, there is only 3 years to go to the next scheduled Summer games, and only a year to the next Winter games.

I missed most events in the last two days due to my work hours
    But did see that our Canadian Team picked Damien Warner to hoist the flag in the closing ceremonies, awesome !!

Hearing about Allyson Felix winning her 11th medal to bump past Carl Lewis is also awesome

I don't know about those that did not win medals, but them medal winning Olympians will be very, very well off with endorsements and all that stuff. You could say they will not have any money worries the rest of their lives.
    It would be great to see all the Olympians benefit the same, and maybe they do in a smaller way.

Honestly ,I had to work hard to enjoy the Olympics as I have in the past years.
    I found out after the finals in the Can vs Sweden woman's soccer match, that there is a player on the woman's soccer team who is transgender. I do have issues with that, but I will not get into it here.
    But what really caught my attention and sadden me was the fact that this woman (who is a former male) had played on the team in the last Olympics and before then and since then too (winning medals and tournaments along the way), and it was hidden that she was trans-gender. No one knew and the Team kept it that way for a few years, to me that is foul play

I probably should not have brought that up, but I have been confused and sad and angry about the whole thing since I found out

But as I have said thru out, I choose to ignore the politics and all that mess, or I would not have enjoyed the games.
    I do not know how I will be able to enjoy or even watch the 2022 Winter Games thou, as they are being held in Beijing, China

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2c View Post
    Basketball, in the Olympics allowing, Pro Players in, is one Reason, 4me doesn't really care about it anymore...!!!
    Back when the 'Dream Team' with Magic, Byrd, Johnson and others were in the Olympics I was hooping mad about it. They beat one team something like 350 points to 3 or some stupid thing like that.... boooooo!!!

Congrads to Tokyo as well. They did a good job despite all the hurdles.
    I am miffed that there were no spectators, even the fact that they have the authority to stop people from viewing the Games in person, but i got over it.
    I say good job on Tokyo mostly because they did not have any corporate advertising in our faces. And with the circumstances I did expect to seee that . Tokyo must have lost huge revenue over the whole thing and I thought they'd try making some back with corporate sponsors and if that happened I defiantly would not have watched them.
    To bump spectators and have corporate advertising everywhere would have been just too much for me to handle.
    But Tokyo did not do that ... good on them
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 08-08-2021 at 03:03 PM.
    - Frank Zappa

Fire From Within

I heard about the transgender person. Most of the wiki entry about Quinn seems to be scrubbed of birth data, but Quinn's birth name was Rebecca Quinn, and rules allow "them" to compete with their birth sex. I'm so confused about this situation, I think Quinn was born female, got confused because identifying as male didn't work, so now is non-binary, and wants to be referred to as "They". I perfer ... "whatever, you were born female".

Genetics are the biggest factor in athletic performance, in my opinion, and someone that is biologically male will have an edge athletically over a biologically female at the same competitive level. Other than a ban, maybe the solution is some sort of handicap, like they do with racehorses or golf, to make things more equal, and to show the same sex organs of their team mates. Messing with Nature is 'un-natural' tough.

I thought I was confused before, now I am more confused ,,, but agreed here.
    Its crazy really.
    If you take a sport like Weightlifting then in my view its a no-brainer that it needs to be woman competing against woman, and men against men. The in-between or not specified genders should not be allowed. Its a brute strength sport. Man is a man and woman is a woman, and it is not fair to include 'extras'
    Then take a sport like a team sport and the line gets hazier because its a team sport with obvious differences from weightlifting. But its still not a fair playing field
    (pun intended).

But it does not matter what I think thou, because Olympic committee allowed the transgender weightlifter to compete with the woman.

As my confusion sets in just a bit more
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 08-08-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    - Frank Zappa

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456