Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar

2020/21 Tokyo Summer Olympics

Well I tried to boycott these Summer Games by not watching them, due to the fact that there are no spectators allowed and the restrictions in place with it all. Including some of the 'politics' goings ons

BUT I could not holdout.
    So ..... I have been watching the Olympics

FoxSports Channels and The Olympic Channel both carry the Games.
    There will probably be other channels as well.
    -NBC
    -EuroSport
    -Sportsnet
    -TSN

There is not alot or any' big corp' sponsorship banners and other adverting seen while watching the Games.
    Other then network TV commercials, the Games themselves do not carry any of that advertising to be seen.
    Good on Tokyo to keep that as is.. ESPECIALLY with the lose of revenue thru these Games, you'd think they would have the big corps in there advertising like no tomorrow just to gain back some loses, but nope.
    Good on Tokyo to hold that up.
    It is sad to see the empty galleries thou.
    There are some in the seats which would be sports journalists and the like, would be my guess.

The Olympics go back along way for me, way back to when I can first remember and that was back when there was only black and white TV
    That was when the Soviet Union and USA and Germany were the top contenders at the Olympics. China was not even in the picture back then, which can not be said today.

My Dad and I would watch most every event in every Olympic year (Games of the Olympiad).
    My favorite events are probably the downhill skiing and gymnastics.

The best Games or perhaps the earliest that I can remember was when Canada beat the Soviets in the Winter Games in the Hockey event (Summit Series).

C/P
    ' For many Canadians, the series between Team Canada and the national team of the Soviet Union in 1972 provided the greatest moment in the country’s sporting history. Most expected that Canada would handily defeat the Soviet Union, but this confidence quickly disappeared when Canada lost the first game. The series was tied heading into the final game in Moscow, which ended in a dramatic fashion, with Paul Henderson scoring in the final seconds to give Canada the victory. The series would have a lasting impact on hockey in Canada and abroad'.
    end c/p

Jesse Owens winning his 4 Golds was probably the best all-time moments at the Games.
    I missed that one thou since I was not yet born

Jesse Owens wasn’t “supposed” to win. He was black and he was competing in track and field in 1936 Berlin. Hitler’s Germany saw Owens as a lesser athlete because of the color of his skin. Owens would go on to win four gold medals (in the 100 meters, 200 meters, long jump, and 4×100 relay). He won with conviction and with grace.

Some other notable Olympic moments....

Austrian Hermann Maier suffered a devastating crash in the downhill Skiing competition at the 1998 Nagano Games. Maier was back on the slopes days later to claim gold in two events: the super-G and giant slalom. Maier later overcame a life-threatening motorcycle crash (and extensive reconstructive surgery) before making his way to bronze and silver medals at the 2006 Turin Games.

When Canadian sailor Lawrence Lemieux began racing at the 1988 South Korea Olympics, he fully intended on playing to win. But when — amid dangerous winds — he noticed a competitor’s capsized boat, he disqualified himself, abandoning the race to help save the two injured sailors. After handing the competitors off to a rescue crew, he resumed the race and still beat out 11 of the other competitors (coming in 21st out of 32). While he didn’t win silver (which his original pace could have easily earned him), Lemieux was awarded an honorary medal for his heroic act.

The 1984 Games in Sarajevo, saw one British pair of Ice Dancers, Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean, in their performance that earned them perfect scores from every judge, as well as the gold medal.

Already a past World and Olympic Champion, Soviet weightlifter Vasily Alexeev didn’t have much to top at the 1976 Montreal Games — except for his own world records. The hulking Alexeev bested East Germany’s Gerd Bonk with ease, but with one lift left, the consummate showman wasn’t one to let the crowd down. He hoisted 562 pounds overhead with his final clean and jerk, smashing his previous record and establishing himself as one of the most revered Olympians of the 20th century.

The Ancient Greeks would’ve appreciated this feat. In the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, Michael Johnson took home two gold medals while crushing two world records along the way. First was the 400-meter race, where he whipped around the track in 43.49 seconds. With only a few days rest in between, Johnson came back to the track to take gold in the 200-meter sprint, becoming the first man to win both races in the same Olympic Games.

Olympics fans flipped out in 1984 when Mary Lou Retton became the first American — male or female — to win a gold medal in gymnastics. Just 16 at the time, Retton had only minimal experience competing internationally, but she received perfect 10s for her stunning performance on the vault.

Call him “The Phenomenon” or “The Fish,” Michael Phelps gave new meaning to blowing the competition out of the water at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. The American swimmer took home (count ’em!) eight gold medals, breaking Mark Spitz’s record of seven gold medals in one Olympics. And if our math is correct, counting his six golds from Athens and four more from London, he’s at 18 golds and 22 total medals over four career trips to the Olympics.

The most talked-about member of the historic “Magnificent Seven,” Kerri Strug’s heroic performance at the 1996 Olympic Games ensured the United States’ first-ever Team gold medal in Women’s Gymnastics. Despite injuring her ankle on her first vault attempt, Strug stuck the landing on her second go, helping the U.S. Women beat out Russia for the first time in Olympic history.

What’s better than three Olympic golds? Ask Usain Bolt. At the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the Jamaican sprinter broke the world and Olympic records in both the100-meter and 200-meter events. He also set a 4×100-meter relay record with the Jamaican team, making him the first man to win three sprinting events at a single Olympics since Carl Lewis in 1984.

Romanian gymnast Nadia Comaneci won three gold medals at the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal, and became the first female gymnast ever to be awarded a perfect 10 in an Olympic gymnastic event.

This story’s so inspirational it was made into a Disney movie! In the country’s first ever appearance at the winter Olympics, Jamaica’s Bobsled Team may have come out medal-less, but certainly won the hearts of Olympic viewers (and the media) at the 1988 Calgary games.

Ethiopian runner Abebe Bikila did the seemingly-impossible: He ran a marathon barefoot — and won.
    Rome, 1960.

2020/21 Tokyo Olympic Games saw the Philippines earn their first-ever Olympic gold medal.
    Hidilyn Diaz made history for earning her country’s first-ever Olympic gold medal in any sport, after winning the women’s 55-kg weightlifting event.

*all the above descriptions were C/P's from multiple sources.
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 08-02-2021 at 01:30 PM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

10 minutes ago the Woman's Gymnastics Individual All-Around events wrapped up.
    This event saw the the Vault, the Uneven-Bars, the Balancing Beam, and the Floor Exercise.

After we saw 4 time world champion and 2016 Gold Medalist Simone Biles take herself out of competition this week, the lights shone on Sunisa Lee for America and she did not disappoint
    I was on the edge of my seat when it came time for the last event in this competition, Sunisa's Floor Exercise.
    She was last in line for this event other then Jade Carey who was not close enough to medal.
    Sunisa needed the high score to win the Gold.

United States' Sunisa Lee wins gold in women’s gymnastics individual all-around.

Jade Carey who filled in for Biles, started out with a not so good performance on the Balancing Beam but ended well in the Floor Exercise.
    Simone Biles stood with her team thru out the competition.

ADDED:
    Aug 2 -- Jade Carey wins Gold in the Floor Exercise

The United States never won an Olympic individual all-around title until Mary Lou Retton’s breakthrough in 1984.
    Suni Lee’s win today is the country’s fifth in a row.

Carly Patterson (2004)
    Nastia Liukin (2008)
    Gabby Douglas (2012)
    Simone Biles (2016)
    Sunisa Lee (2020)

Sunisa Lee pictured during Tokyo's Olympic Games

Sunisa Lee’s continued Sunday when she took bronze in the uneven bars to make that 3 medals in Tokyo
    She now has a Gold in All-Around, Silver in Team and Bronze in Bars at these Games.
    She will compete Tuesday in the Balance Beam final.
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 08-02-2021 at 10:50 AM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

3 Time Nascar Pool Winner 4me2c's Avatar
    Have not been watching so THANKS to crazed 9.6 for posting...! and Congratz to All the Individual Medal Winners, Proud of You...!!!
    WWJD...!!!

Fire From Within

I watch, because some of the sports only get the spotlight every four years (in this case 5). I guess the big story has been Simone Biles dropping out of the all-round competitions. I think its was only disappointing in that we couldn't see the 'GOAT' in action, but her stepping aside let the other members rise to the occasion, and I'd rather not see her getting carried off in an ambulance because she wasn't into what she was doing. Some of the stories have been been compelling, like the Triathlete from Bermuda, and the Weightlifter from the Philippines, both women, winning the first ever gold medals for their countries. However, I won't watch Mens Basketball.

I saw the Weightlifter from the Philippines,but missed the Triathlete from Bermuda... good on her too
    Not seeing Biles at her best was disappointing, but as you say it is better then seeing her hurt. I see some media and social groups talking negative about the whole thing, but from my view Simone did what she needed to do, nothing more need said about it, at least not from those that do not have a clue in what they speak of

I watched the Table Tennis for Gold earlier. China was sure to win the Gold.
    I meant that literally because in the final round there were two China team-mates competing against each other for the Gold... so China did win Gold

Tennis was going all day and the Woman's singles were playing for Gold.
    The Kazakhstan Player had my vote .. I saw her beat Williams to win the French Open earlier last year or year before... she is good
    But I fell asleep and missed the outcome. I will have to catch the replay

And yea, as far as B-ball.. is LeBron playing for China ?

Flora Duffy Wins Bermuda's First Ever Olympic Gold
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 08-01-2021 at 08:16 PM.
    - Frank Zappa

Might bee watching some tonight as NBC Local Channel 6 has been airing it and tonight is Gymnastics(Women Style)...+...!!!
    WWJD...!!!

Watching the Floor Show Now... Those Gals are something else...!!! They are Girls not Women yet...!!

Code:
    https://youtu.be/57q3kq4FP2o
    WWJD...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2c View Post
    Watching the Floor Show Now... Those Gals are something else...!!! They are Girls not Women yet...!!

Code:
    https://youtu.be/57q3kq4FP2o
    Their youth is the winning factor me thinks...

In 1984 when Mary Lou Retton became the first American — male or female — to win a gold medal in gymnastics., she was just 16 years young at the time.

In 1996 Kerri Strug injured her ankle or sprained it on her first Vault attempt. The USA needed the best from her to gold medal in the event... and on her next attempt she delivered.
    With an injured ankle and all, she made her next Vault and stuck that landing for Gold
    She had to be carried to the podium as she could no longer walk on her injured ankle.
    She was 18 years old at the time.

Simone Biles born in 1997, also has stellar portfolio starting at a young age.
    She started at age 12 and took it seriously with a professional trainer by age 14
    At the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Biles at age 18, won individual gold medals in all-around, vault, and floor; bronze in balance beam; and gold as part of the United States team.

Biles is also a five-time World all-around champion, five-time World floor exercise champion, three-time World balance beam champion, two-time World vault champion, a seven-time United States national all-around champion, and a member of the gold medal-winning American teams at the 2014, 2015, 2018, and 2019 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships.

Simone Biles pictured from the 2016 Olympic Games
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 07-30-2021 at 06:33 PM.
    - Frank Zappa

Men's singles tennis.
    The Serbia dude is killing it !!
    Putting on a show is what the broadcaster just said.

Djokovic has got some shots , wow!
    German competitor Zverev is in the game thou, he is keeping pace with Djokovic !

Alexander Zverev turns it around in the second set and comes back to defeat Djokovic ... wow !
    What a match !
    Zverev wins the match and goes on for gold final

Djokovic looses his tennis match for the Bronze.

After getting the grand slam in tennis this year, the hopes were high for him to possibly Gold here at Tokyo and have a stellar year and the Golden Grand Slam !
    But it was not to be

3 Opens = Grand Slam
    4 Opens = Calendar Grand Slam
    3 Opens and the Gold =
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 08-04-2021 at 07:30 PM.
    - Frank Zappa

up next is Men's tennis doubles for Gold!
    It looks like Croatia will win the Gold, is my prediction.
    'Cause it's two Croatia teams against each other for the Gold, one of them gotta win
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 08-02-2021 at 02:40 PM.
    - Frank Zappa

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast