Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar

Blow eFuses to prevent downgrading to older interface

C/P
    An eFuse, or electronic fuse, is a microscopic fuse put into a computer chip that can be triggered to blow in order to permanently change the circuitry of a chip. While eFuses have other uses, they are most commonly used by hardware manufacturers to prevent older software from running on the device. The older software expects a certain number of eFuses to be intact when the device boots, so blowing an eFuse makes older software incompatible with the device.

Amazon has blown eFuses on Fire TV devices in the past as a way to seemingly prevent newer devices from taking advantage of older software exploits that allowed the device to be rooted or allowed the bootloader to be unlocked. This latest blown eFuse seems to be a way to keep devices on the new Fire TV interface, but we’ll likely never know if that’s actually the reason. Regardless of the motivation, the fact is that a Fire TV Stick 4K that updates to the stock version of Fire OS 6.2.8.0 will not be able to downgrade, even if it is later rooted.

Rbox, a developer who has been active among the Fire TV modding community for years, has determined that Amazon has chosen to blow an eFuse with Fire OS v6.2.8.0 on the Fire TV Stick 4K to prevent downgrading. He says a script was added in a previous Fire TV software update that did nothing, but that script was activated in the latest software update to blow an eFuse.

end c/p
    Posted by Elias Saba on April 5, 2021

Code:
    https://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-blows-efuse-on-fire-tv-stick-to-prevent-downgrading-to-old-interface/?fbclid=IwAR27qFKfiR8mUVq_zIizbOOIGo-gA446DUB-qOo78WXahbjxsgOPBBKma9U
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Bulletproof
    Quote Originally Posted by crazed 9.6 View Post
    C/P
    An eFuse, or electronic fuse, is a microscopic fuse put into a computer chip that can be triggered to blow in order to permanently change the circuitry of a chip. While eFuses have other uses, they are most commonly used by hardware manufacturers to prevent older software from running on the device. The older software expects a certain number of eFuses to be intact when the device boots, so blowing an eFuse makes older software incompatible with the device.

Amazon has blown eFuses on Fire TV devices in the past as a way to seemingly prevent newer devices from taking advantage of older software exploits that allowed the device to be rooted or allowed the bootloader to be unlocked. This latest blown eFuse seems to be a way to keep devices on the new Fire TV interface, but we’ll likely never know if that’s actually the reason. Regardless of the motivation, the fact is that a Fire TV Stick 4K that updates to the stock version of Fire OS 6.2.8.0 will not be able to downgrade, even if it is later rooted.

Rbox, a developer who has been active among the Fire TV modding community for years, has determined that Amazon has chosen to blow an eFuse with Fire OS v6.2.8.0 on the Fire TV Stick 4K to prevent downgrading. He says a script was added in a previous Fire TV software update that did nothing, but that script was activated in the latest software update to blow an eFuse.

end c/p
    Posted by Elias Saba on April 5, 2021

Code:
    https://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-blows-efuse-on-fire-tv-stick-to-prevent-downgrading-to-old-interface/?fbclid=IwAR27qFKfiR8mUVq_zIizbOOIGo-gA446DUB-qOo78WXahbjxsgOPBBKma9U
    Crazed looks like they put new version in today. OS 7.2.3.4 on 4K sticks. I have IPvanish I wonder if that can help with iptvprivateserver NFPS ? Will we have a problem with our Fire sticks not getting NFPS later? Will this stop us. I'm lost my friend.

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andkaal View Post
    Crazed looks like they put new version in today. OS 7.2.3.4 on 4K sticks. I have IPvanish I wonder if that can help with iptvprivateserver NFPS ? Will we have a problem with our Fire sticks not getting NFPS later? Will this stop us. I'm lost my friend.
    I had not investigated into this any further andkaal
    But from what i understand it deals with rooting and/or unlocking the bootloader.
    I do not think any of that will effect it's streaming abilities thou.

They were talking about it on reddik awhile back, as to how to combat this but as I say I do not think it would effect streaming.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Bulletproof
    Quote Originally Posted by crazed 9.6 View Post
    I had not investigated into this any further andkaal
    But from what i understand it deals with rooting and/or unlocking the bootloader.
    I do not think any of that will effect it's streaming abilities thou.

They were talking about it on reddik awhile back, as to how to combat this but as I say I do not think it would effect streaming.
    Thank you crazed for getting back as always. andkaal

The good news for rooted Fire TV Stick 4K owners is that Rbox has already released a pre-rooted version of Fire OS 6.2.8.0 for Fire TV Stick 4K that doesn't blow eFuse. As long as the device has never installed the stock update 6.2.8.0, you can install the pre-rooted version of 6.2.8.0 and downgrade if you wish. Please make sure that donate to Rbox to support and thank him for continuing to keep all our rooted devices up to date.
    and
    Code:
    https://www.aftvnews.com/tag/rbox/
    this is cool
    and to root here
    Code:
    https://www.aftvnews.com/root/
    Last edited by Marley; 05-06-2021 at 02:31 PM.