How to fix Dolby Atmos in VLC

this was c&p
    Hey all, so I recently got a Dolby Atmos sound bar (with eARC!) and attempted to play one of the Atmos trailers with VLC on my HTPC, and was surprised to find that the sound bar was not receiving the Atmos information. I knew that Atmos content worked, because when I played the same file with the built-in Windows TV & Film app I saw the word "ATMOS" flash by on my sound bar (its a HW-Q90R for reference). So of course I went to Google to try and figure out what the issue was, but was surprised to see there wasn't a solution readily available; most people recommended using a different media player (not an option for me, I love VLC) or enabling HDMI pass through, but this wasn't enough for me (and most other people) to get Atmos working. Luckily I was able to get it working in VLC 3.0.8, so I figured I would post my solution here for other people googling for a solution like myself. Here are the settings you need to change:

Go to Preferences > All > Audio > Output modules

Change "Audio output module" to "Windows Multimedia Device output"

Go to the "MMDevice" settings

Change the "Output back-end" to "Windows Audio Session API output"

Set "HDMI/SPDIF audio passthrough" to "Enabled"

You should be all set! Remember you need to download the Atmos app from the Windows Store first.

Hope this help ones that play atmos

How to fix Dolby Atmos in VLC

this was c&p
    Hey all, so I recently got a Dolby Atmos sound bar (with eARC!) and attempted to play one of the Atmos trailers with VLC on my HTPC, and was surprised to find that the sound bar was not receiving the Atmos information. I knew that Atmos content worked, because when I played the same file with the built-in Windows TV & Film app I saw the word "ATMOS" flash by on my sound bar (its a HW-Q90R for reference). So of course I went to Google to try and figure out what the issue was, but was surprised to see there wasn't a solution readily available; most people recommended using a different media player (not an option for me, I love VLC) or enabling HDMI pass through, but this wasn't enough for me (and most other people) to get Atmos working. Luckily I was able to get it working in VLC 3.0.8, so I figured I would post my solution here for other people googling for a solution like myself. Here are the settings you need to change:

Go to Preferences > All > Audio > Output modules

Change "Audio output module" to "Windows Multimedia Device output"

Go to the "MMDevice" settings

Change the "Output back-end" to "Windows Audio Session API output"

Set "HDMI/SPDIF audio passthrough" to "Enabled"

You should be all set! Remember you need to download the Atmos app from the Windows Store first.

Hope this help ones that play atmos
    Last edited by Marley; 04-20-2021 at 02:57 PM.

3 Time Nascar Pool Winner 4me2c's Avatar
    "Cool", thanks for the Detail Steps...!!!
    WWJD...!!!

Excellent info, ...Thanks.

Did you eventually get Atmos to function with KODI?
    *(ie: using VLC as an external player).

-&-

For anyone wanting more info regarding requirements etc.;
    Code:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/dolby-access/9n0866fs04w8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
    /Shooty

heck yea i run Atmos in kodi now i dont have use my computer this is system i run Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2.4Ch 1000W Soundbar w Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision+SSE
    Last edited by Marley; 04-20-2021 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    heck yea i run Atmos in kodi now i dont have use my computer this is system i run Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2.4Ch 1000W Soundbar w Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision+SSE
    Hi I have same Soundbar 9.2.4 newer with eARC best bar ever so I wandering if you can tell me how setup Kodi with VLC (Kodi on Nvidia Shield) to get Atmos

can tell you first set tv up to see your eARC my sony says enable need do that then your tv should be fine shield runs atmos on there paid stuff you need set up passthrough to 7.1 in kodi in setting and if you have that bar call them they walk you through setting it up even have web site to do that sorry been so long getting back been sick for few months
    Last edited by Marley; 12-20-2021 at 09:31 AM.

no problem all works now thank you
    Get well that is more imported then anything