Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junoir Member

11 Year Old Computer

My computer is 11 years old and still running Windows 7, can anyone suggest a new computer configuration using a tower. I'm not too keen on laptops. Gaming is something but not everything. Keep the computer lingo easy to understand, I'm not up on all the terminology. Building one is an option.

if your 11 year old is decent then just switch hard drive to SSD and check the result
    you will be surprised but yeah if you have money to buy new one then custom is the best way to go.
    All information provided is for informational purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Fire From Within

At a certain point it just makes more sense to move on to a newer version of Windows, as Windows 7 is no longer supported for security updates. I see no reason to just stay at windows 7 now, unless you have a program that absolutely won't run in Windows 10 and you don't want to find a better program. Ryu is right, a SSD may surprise you on how much quicker your system will be on startup and running, but adding memory will also help. If you go new, you probably can triple your system performance though, and future proof a bit.

I would run UserBenchmark.com to see where your system ranks. I just ran mine, and got a "Battle cruiser," as a desktop, fine for what I do, but I don't do gaming stuff or need hi-res graphics.

Random Engineer
    With an SSD upgrade plus a memory upgrade on your laptop, you can still upgrade for free to Windows 10. My most recent free upgrade from Windows 7 64 Bit to Windows 10 was done only 3 weeks ago. They were supposed to stop the free upgrade years ago but it still works.

Buy the SSD HDD, max out your compatible ram and do the free win 10 upgrade (as suggested above). While you are in there, replace your existing fans and vacuum out the dust!
    "Glass Half Full Always"

Junoir Member
    Thanks everyone for the help. I will try a new SSD and HDD after I try the "Userbenchmark.com".

for gamming good luck on that one but after that your fine and what your going to buy piece by piece get yourself new computer there so cheap now unless you want to play big games then video cards are more then system
    Last edited by Marley; 04-20-2021 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cap wor View Post
    Thanks everyone for the help. I will try a new SSD and HDD after I try the "Userbenchmark.com".
    11yr old pc would probably not support the SSD in the cmos.
    Win 10 on an 11yr old pc would be a sluggish headache, if made to run at all!

BTW..., "Keep the computer lingo easy to understand, I'm not up on all the terminology. Building one is an option."...???
    * I assume then that you are not going to do the "building"?

Just buy a new Tower, ready to go!
    Take your old HDD and install in the new unit if you really need some data.

Just my 2¢
    /Shooty

truth is throw that away you can buy one so cheap now 10 times better then you have now and parts are way to old to use in new system heck cost more to have someone upgrade system then buy new one time have changed maybe you should too dont waste your money and try upgrade something thats way way to old now heck cost you more to that then buy new system and thats truth

Wing Commander
    Windows 7 is no longer supported for security updates
    Mine never stopped receiving updates. There is a few there now waiting to be installed. I will not move to win 10 till I have too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast