Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SATA hard drive

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar

SATA hard drive

So I dug into my tickle trunk awhile ago and pulled out 2 old Laptops, both of which are so far outdated I think one still has win95 installed on it
    Both these stopped working for me a long time ago, I think one showed the blue screen of death on it.

So I decided to remove the hard drives from both and experiment with them on the XRS4900
    These are both SATA drives, although one is labeled as a DiscDrive and it does carry an extra connection port, but even with that extra port it still plugs in to the SATA connection on the XRS

If you are gonna do this, before you connect the drive, start up the XRS and open Settings and open Storage and take note of what it shows there. If no external drives are connected, it should only show it's internal storage ---> Device Storage / Internal Shared Storage / Total Space: 116GB

Dsconnect the power from the XRS before connecting the drive.
    After connecting the SATA drive, open that menu again and have a look what it shows then.

So now I have an old SATA drive installed on the XRS and when I open the drive thru Total Commander I can see all it's contents as it was when on the laptop. can not yet access most of this content because of missing applications and etc Some of these needed applications I can probably find and install at a later time.... Right now thou, I can access some long lost pictures tat are on the drives.

I have also testing a recording and it does record to the drive . You would need to specify the drive when setting up the recording.
    I open the drive again with Total Commander File Manager and open the Android file and the recording is there and playable.

These drives do get hot when operating. I have ensured that the XRS4900 has good access to fresh air to its underside.

Another thing to know is that if you do remove a drive from an old laptop, after the drive has been removed there still will be covers on these drives that also have to be removed , a small screwdriver will be needed.
    The drive will not fit into the slot in the buzz box unless those covers are removed.

And do not handle the drive except by its edges.
    The drive has an open card on the one side, so do not touch that.

Now I gotta find a way to clean these drives
    Anyone have a magnet ?
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 03-18-2021 at 08:42 PM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Great post crazed 9.6.
    "Glass Half Full Always"

Chief Ninja
    Super post crazed 9.6. Very good information.

Great info
    All information provided is for informational purposes only. Use at your own risk.

big question is why 116gb is maybe two three movies 4k i run 65gb to 75 a movie so your killing yourself doing this but heck it works great info but must say times are a changing and There is no difference in the cables. They have not changed with SATA revisions
    Last edited by Marley; 06-10-2021 at 04:37 AM.

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    big question is why 116gb is maybe two three movies 4k i run 65gb to 75 a movie so your killing yourself doing this but heck it works great info but must say times are a changing and There is no difference in the cables. They have not changed with SATA revisions
    For me it was all about retrieving lost pictures and documents that were on the drives. The drives were came from non-working laptops.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

yea i can see that did that with all wife pictures she had on old drives now got them on blue ray disks for testing it was good read learned a few things

iptv
    Thanks Crazed

Rocket Recovery Technician
    Will the 4900 support a 4GB 2.5' like the Samsung GSRF MZ-77Q4T0B/AM. Most of the 2.5 laptop internals I can find are 2TB or less. With the specs I have seen on it seems like there is plenty of power to run it. I am running two 3TB on a Formuler Z8 usb ports so I thought maybe it would be faster and better to do the 4TB internal and get rid of the usb drives.

Quote Originally Posted by 12icer View Post
    Will the 4900 support a 4GB 2.5' like the Samsung GSRF MZ-77Q4T0B/AM. Most of the 2.5 laptop internals I can find are 2TB or less. With the specs I have seen on it seems like there is plenty of power to run it. I am running two 3TB on a Formuler Z8 usb ports so I thought maybe it would be faster and better to do the 4TB internal and get rid of the usb drives.
    if the xr4500 can run it fast , i am sure the 4900 can run it even faster .

here's the specs -> -XRS4900-Specs
    knowledge is power , power corrupts all .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast