Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar

Plan to return Boeing 737 Max to service

I don't fly.
    I have never flown on a commercial jet (well I did once, but it was under much protest on my part).
    It's not that I have fear of flying.
    I have a fear of falling out of the sky, while packed in a flying sardine can !

Reading or watching about Airline crashes over the years only strengthens my distrust in commercial flight.

Remember the news about the Boeing Jets 737 Max from back in March 2019 ?
    The Jets in question may return to service after being grounded since March 2019

After two Boeing 737 Max crashes, it was determined that the Boeing 737 Max's flight control automation system would point the aircraft’s nose downward, leading pilots to fight to regain control.
    So they 'fixed' it

American Airlines, if allowed to put these jets back into service, will do so with short flights between NewYork and Miami

Passengers will be told that they will be flying on a 737 and will have a choice to change flights.
    Personally I would think the choice would be a no-brainer

C/P
    By Michael Bartiromo

American Airlines is planning to reintroduce Boeing 737 Max jets to service in late December on the condition that the FAA deems it safe to do so.

The planes, of which there are two models (Max 8 and Max 9), were grounded in March 2019 following the crash of an Ethiopian Airlines flight that killed 157 people. A separate Lion Air flight, also operated on a Boeing 737 Max aircraft, had crashed into the Java sea the previous October, killing 189.

At the time of the groundings, reports indicated that a problem with a new flight control automation system would point the aircraft’s nose downward, leading pilots to fight to regain control.

American Airlines said its plans for reintroducing the Boeing aircraft remains “highly depended on the FAA’s recertification process.”

Following its investigations, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is working with Boeing on recertifying the aircraft and approving its return to service, but “only after FAA safety experts are satisfied that the aircraft meets certification standards,” the FAA said in a statement obtained by Reuters.

In a statement shared with Fox News, American Airlines added that its plans for reintroducing the Boeing aircraft remains “highly depended on the FAA’s recertification process.”

In the event that the aircraft are approved to reenter service, American plans to operate one flight per day — from Miami International Airport to LaGuardia Airport and back — between Dec. 29 through Jan. 4, after which point the carrier will review its plans for continued operation past Jan. 4.

Customers will be able to book scheduled flights on the Boeing 737 Max jets as of Oct. 24; information regarding the type of aircraft will be made available to passengers upon booking.

Travelers won’t be rebooked on a Boeing 737 Max aircraft should they need to be automatically accommodated, American Airlines adds. Customers needing reaccommodation, but who knowingly booked flights on a Boeing 737 Max, will also be rebooked on other aircraft types automatically.

“We remain in contact with the FAA and Boeing on the certification process and we’ll continue to update our plans based on when the aircraft is certified," said American.

end c/p

added..
    January 2021
    Sriwijaya Air Boeing 737 passenger plane (not the Max model but the same 737 line), crashed off the Indonesia coast killing all aboard.
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 01-13-2021 at 11:22 PM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Rocket Recovery Technician
    I have flown in a Huey helicopter and a few commercial flights, I have a nephew that is probably in the million mile club at least he has so many points he could fly around the world a bunch of times. He is an industrial and government fabrication quality control engineer. He gets about 250,000 a year and perks but he is on a plane three or four days a week. He will scrap an entire project if it has one weld that is bad, or one hole drilled .025 mm off. He is a hardass inspector, but if he lets it pass it is exactly by the engineers drawings. My flying time in a commercial flight was one hundred times better than a Huey and a lot quieter. I hate those things, every deck plate and every piece of gear in them rattles like a John Deere 720 popping. Crazed, I don't think I would like to fly any jumbo jet, I would rather fly a turbo prop on a short flight. I Flew in a few big ones from Philly to Atlanta and Memphis. I flew some DC 8s and 9s, I think I liked them best. I don't care for the 707 or any of the later Boeing 7 series planes, they just look too big and bulky to me and cant land anywhere but an airport because of their weight. The idea of packing passengers in a thing too heavy to fly for profit is not my idea of a good idea.