Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar

BuzzTV ST4000 - Loading Installing apk/app files

Apps (applications) can be loaded on the VidStick in a few different ways.

-App Store has a shortcut shown on your Home Screen. This App Store is an online Aptoide TV Store free to use with no registration needed.
    Upon first opening this Store, you may and probably will get an alert to update to the newest version. This is only an update for this particular Aptoide TV app, so go ahead and accept that update. Now you can explore what's in the Store and available to download with simply a few clicks away (follow onscreen prompts).
    This can also be a good place to view the tech info with any particular app.

-Google Play Store has a shortcut shown in the 'All Apps' category. This Store prompts you to sign in using your google account.
    Upon first opening this Store, you will see an update start on it's own, let it update.
    Once in the Store, explore at your leisure

Next we will look at the two pre-installed File Managers found on your VidStick. These 2 applications can be used for side-loading an APK file.

File Browser and AppInstaller

I prefer the File Browser as it also has other abilities included. Such as the ability to open any downloaded movies you may have on a device and in turn open a Video Player to watch the movie.
    All done from right inside the File Browser, so no need to use other added steps to get the job done

An APK file is basically just a carrier of an app (application).
    The APK file is what is downloaded and placed onto a USB memory device. The app inside of that apk file, is what is installed on your Android device.

For example, I want to load the Total Comander Manager/Explorer.

Before we carry on , we need to first 'Allow Apps from Unknown Sources'
    This can be done thru the VidStick's onboard Android menus.

Home > Settings > Device Preferences > Security & Restrictions > Unknown Sources.

Once you open the Unknown Sources option, you will see the apps currently installed on your VidStick, and these apps shown are the ones that can possibly install stuff on your Stick.
    You will see the AppInstaller and the File Browser are listed there and they need to be set to be 'Allowed'. But with this VidStick, the Buzz team has already set those to 'Allowed' , so nothing to see here... lol
    I did however want to show that procedure because it is a rarity to see these 'Allowed' as default, but is a nice touch to see added by the Team

Okay now we need two things...
    1. The apk file of the application that you want to side-load (download & install).
    2. A USB memory drive device, formatted to FAT32 or xFat

Here's an APK file of a favorite Manager/Explorer application I like to have installed on all my Android boxes...
    Total Commander apk for Android
    Code:
    https://total-commander.en.uptodown.com/android
    The ghisler website is their home developer site.
    Code:
    https://www.ghisler.com/
    I don't think you can find the Android version of the Comander at their developer site thou.

Once you get that APK onto your USB memory stick, follow along with the text shown below.

-AppInstaller
    This is where we can install apk files onto the Buzz box.
    Apk files a way to install an application thru USB device drive. Once installed, the APP can be found in your My APPS menu.
    You will need the apk file placed on a FAT32 formatted USB drive.
    Always try to have the USB drive inserted into the Buzz box while the Buzz is powered off.
    If the drive is not recognized, then use the Power icon on bottom right on main Buzz screen and Reboot.
    Then enter AppInstaller again and the USB drive should now be seen.
    Appinstaller does only one thing and that is installing an Application (app) from an apk file.

-File Browser
    Another apk installer.
    If the USB is not seen then again follow above procedure.
    On File Browser's main screen you should see..
    -Local Disk
    -USB drive
    Open USB and you will see the contents of the drive.
    .txt or any files can be opened and seen onscreen.
    .apk files can be installed, just click to install.
    This one can be used to open selected video files as well and be instantly played on command right from this File Manager.
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 06-17-2020 at 01:37 AM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa