Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar

Chip Ganassi Racing ends relationship with Kyle Larson

Chip Ganassi Racing officials announced Tuesday that the organization has parted ways with NASCAR Cup Series driver Kyle Larson after Larson’s use of a racial slur on a live stream during an iRacing event April 12.

Chip Ganassi Racing had initially announced a suspension without pay for Larson, before deciding to sever its ties with the driver, who has been with the team since 2013. That Monday announcement was swiftly followed by Larson’s indefinite suspension from NASCAR.

“After much consideration, Chip Ganassi Racing has determined that it will end its relationship with driver Kyle Larson,” read the organization’s statement. “As we said before, the comments that Kyle made were both offensive and unacceptable especially given the values of our organization. As we continued to evaluate the situation with all the relevant parties, it became obvious that this was the only appropriate course of action to take.”

The sanctioning body issued a behavioral penalty April 13, citing Sections 12.1 (General Procedures) and 12.8 (NASCAR Member Conduct Guidelines) of the official Rule Book. Larson must also attend sensitivity training as directed by NASCAR should he wish to be reinstated.

Earlier Monday afternoon, Larson posted a video on his social media handles, apologizing for his actions.

The full text of Larson’s statement: “Hey, I just want to say I’m sorry. Last night I made a mistake and said the word that should never, ever be said. There’s no excuse for that. I wasn’t raised that way. It’s just an awful thing to say. I feel very sorry for my family, my friends, my partners, the NASCAR community and especially the African-American community. I understand the damage is probably unrepairable, and I own up to that. But I just want to let you all know how sorry I am, and I hope everybody is staying safe during these crazy times. Thank you.”

Larson has earned six victories, 56 top fives, 101 top 10s and eight Busch Pole Awards in his NASCAR Cup Series career. All but four of his 223 Cup Series starts have come in the No. 42 Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet.

Larson registered one top-five finish and three top 10s in four starts this year before the COVID-19 pandemic placed the NASCAR season on hold. His contract with Ganassi was set to expire at the end of the year, making him a free agent.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Nascar Pool Diecast Winner
    i think this is bull sh!t! he was playing a Fn game! .its ok for black people to use racial slur's but god forbid a white boy says something!!! somebody needs to file a law suit against hollywood and all the movie makers !badboys2 watch it! see how many times Martin Lawrence use's a slur watch anything with sam l jackson chris rock the list goes on and on! I'm so f^cking sick of this sh!t

3 Time Nascar Pool Winner 4me2c's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeKeeper View Post
    i think this is bull sh!t! he was playing a Fn game! .its ok for black people to use racial slur's but god forbid a white boy says something!!! somebody needs to file a law suit against hollywood and all the movie makers !badboys2 watch it! see how many times Martin Lawrence use's a slur watch anything with sam l jackson chris rock the list goes on and on! I'm so f^cking sick of this sh!t
    4me Couldn't Agree More...!

and plus , Kyle was saying it to his spotter and thought he was in private conversation.
    It would have been like me and my best friend playing online games and I called him a dirty bastard.. does not mean any slurs and defiantly does not mean I do not love the man... so I do not know what to take on this except that them online virtual games are not the real thing and neither is the mentality of it all.
    If Kyle was in full nascar suit and ready to drive a race car he would never have let a slur like that slip by... even if he thought it was harmless, it just would not have happened.. but these virtual games are not the same.
    When in a virtual setup with no helmet on one's head and therefore no chance of personal injury, then you get loose and especially in your hype talk with your buds.

take it as it is , but I thinks in Larsons thoughts and his spotter's thoughts that it was nothing to do with 'racial slurs' as it may have just been the hype at it all.... Remember, Kyle did not have a helmet on , so no injury, no chance of death... and yet chance to show skills .. well you get into a mode where you play the game. The online game. Its not real life !!
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Lightbulb

Code:
     https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2020/10/16/kyle-larson-reinstatement-application-nascar-cup-series/
    " By
    Zack Albert NASCAR.com October 16, 2020 at 1:36 PM

NASCAR officials indicated Friday that Kyle Larson applied for reinstatement earlier this week.

Larson’s NASCAR membership was suspended April 13, one day after his use of a racial slur during an iRacing event. Chip Ganassi Racing fired the 28-year-old driver on April 14, later tapping Matt Kenseth to replace him in the No. 42 Chevrolet.

RELATED: Larson pens personal essay

Larson is required to complete sensitivity training at NASCAR’s direction as a condition for his reinstatement.

Larson has made few public statements about the matter since his suspension, but has recently spoken out about the measures he has taken to educate himself about civil-rights issues, first in an interview with the Associated Press on Aug. 19, then in a personal essay published on his website Oct. 4. His first televised interview on the subject came earlier Friday with reporter James Brown on CBS This Morning.

Larson is a six-time winner in the NASCAR Cup Series. During his suspension from NASCAR, he has spent time in sprint-car competition and has been a regular winner in dirt-track events."

Good Luck Kyle, You are an Asset to Nascar... You have been Missed...!!

That is on nascar and not on Larson, as far as I see it.

Nascar had their drivers playing a kids game (or an online gamer's game) and they had nothing in place to protect their drivers if or when things were said on-air that should not have been heard by the public.
    That is Nascar's fault, and not Larson's

Chip Ganassi Racing was pressured by sponsers to suspend Larson. While teams like Stewart-Haas Racing would jump at the chance to hire on Larson, or so is what I have gathered.
    Larson went thru nascar's hoops directly after he was suspended, he did not wait. But nascar did not acknowledge that, then or now.
    If Larson does come back to nascar (which he does want to), I would not be surprised to see Larson driving for Tony Stewart.
    Tony showed interest in Larson.

He is king behind the wheel of them dirt track cars !
    Larson has been called 'beyond human' by his fellow dirt track and Sprint car drivers.
    He is tearing up them tracks and winning most of the time that he gets in one of them cars !
    - Frank Zappa

Fire From Within

Yeah, Smoke is pretty tolerant. With Clint Bowyer gone, Larson has no reason not be courted by Tony Stewart.

Code:
    https://www.fr24news.com/a/2020/10/kyle-larson-reinstated-by-nascar-after-suspension-for-use-of-racial-slurs-will-be-eligible-to-race-in-2021.html
    Kyle Larson reinstated by NASCAR after suspension for use of racial slurs, will be eligible to race in 2021...!!!

NASCAR has reinstated Kyle Larson, who was indefinitely suspended and released by Chip Ganassi Racing following the use of a racial slur at an iRacing event in April. Larson will be allowed to return to all NASCAR racing activities on January 1, 2021.

The governing body of sport issued the following statement.

“NASCAR continues to prioritize diversity and inclusion in our sport. Kyle Larson has met the requirements set by NASCAR and has taken several voluntary steps to better educate himself so he can use his platform to help bridge the gap in our country. Larson’s indefinite suspension has been lifted. Upon reinstatement, he will be permitted to resume all NASCAR racing activities effective January 1, 2021. ”

“The work I have done over the past six months has had a major impact on me. I will take this opportunity and look forward to the future, ”Larson said in a statement to The Associated Press.

Under the terms of the reinstatement, Larson will also be required to participate in speaking engagements with the weekly playoffs, eSports and dirt racing communities in addition to undergoing follow-up training through 2023. He will also continue to serve as a coach and mentor for urban youth. Racing School, which he did before his suspension.

Larson made constant attempts to repair his reputation in an effort to return to NASCAR. He started by apologizing on his social media accounts before deactivating those accounts and going public. Larson then took NASCAR-commissioned sensitivity training, hired a diversity coach, spoke to African-American sports leaders, and traveled across states to learn about race issues. Larson, who is half Japanese, came through NASCAR’s diversity program.

In early October, Larson wrote an essay on his website titled “Kyle Larson: My Lessons Learned,” where he explained everything he had done since his suspension. Two weeks later, Larson appeared on “CBS This Morning” in his first TV interview since the incident.

“I know deep down that I am not a racist,” he said. “I said a racist word and I can fully understand why people would call me racist."

thnx for the news 4me

I am still pissed at nascar over all this thou. Larson lost a year at Cup level, that he should never have lost.
    Far as I see, Nascar needs 'training' so they don't let something like this happen again.
    They should have never had their professional drivers playing a gamer's game and without some kind of editing/censoring protection!
    Shame on Nascar !!

Okay, Okay I won't carry on again about this.
    - Frank Zappa

Kyle Larson signs with Hendrick Motorsports to drive No. 5 in 2021...!

By
    Staff Report NASCAR.com October 28, 2020 at 11:55 AM

Kyle Larson has signed a multiyear contract with Hendrick Motorsports to drive the No. 5 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE beginning with the 2021 NASCAR Cup Series season.

The 28-year-old driver will be paired with crew chief Cliff Daniels, who will shift from the No. 48 Chevrolet currently driven by seven-time Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson in his final full-time season.

“Hendrick Motorsports is a championship organization that has set a high bar for performance and for how drivers represent the team and its partners,” Larson said in a team release. “My goal is to win races, be a great teammate, continue my personal efforts to grow and hold myself to that high standard personally and professionally. Making the absolute most of this platform and the opportunity in front of me is my focus. I know what’s expected of me and what I expect of myself, on and off the track.

“Mr. Hendrick is one of the people who extended a hand to me over the past six months. Our initial conversations were not about racing. He cares about me as a person and wants to see me succeed beyond driving. I can’t put into words how grateful I am for the commitment, the faith and the confidence from him and everyone at Hendrick Motorsports.”

RELATED: More on Larson’s reinstatement

Larson was reinstated by NASCAR officials on Oct. 19 following his completion of sensitivity training at the sanctioning body’s direction, more than six months after his April suspension for his use of a racial slur during an iRacing event. Larson continues to fulfill requirements in order to keep his NASCAR membership current, and his reinstatement will be effective on Jan. 1, 2021.

The Asian-American driver moved up the ranks through the NASCAR Drive for Diversity program, becoming the first graduate to race full time at the Cup Series level. Larson now serves as a mentor for the initiative, along with his work as a volunteer for the Urban Youth Racing School in Philadelphia, which provides a platform to expose students of color to motorsports.

Following his suspension, Larson also began working with Sanneh Foundation, a Minneapolis-based program to advance diversity, equity and community well-being.

Since his rookie season in 2014, Larson has accumulated six race victories, 101 top-10 finishes and four playoff appearances in 223 starts with former team Chip Ganassi Racing, which parted ways with Larson in April.

Larson will join current Hendrick Motorsports drivers Alex Bowman (moving to the No. 48), William Byron and Chase Elliott next season. The four drivers have a combined 18 Cup Series victories and have achieved 18 playoff berths.

MORE: A history of the No. 5

“Kyle is unquestionably one of the most talented race car drivers in the world,” said team owner Rick Hendrick. “He has championship-level ability and will be a significant addition to our on-track program. More importantly, I have full confidence that he understands our expectations and will be a tremendous ambassador for our team, our partners and NASCAR. Kyle and I have had many, many conversations leading up to today’s announcement. I’m confident about what’s in his heart and his desire to be a champion in all aspects of his life and career. Kyle has done important work over the past six months and Hendrick Motorsports is going to support those continued efforts.”

“I’m excited about our roster of young talent,” Hendrick added. “We have a team that is built to win races and compete for championships for years to come.”

Larson’s return will also mark the comeback for Hendrick Motorsports’ flagship No. 5 car, which last competed in 2017 with Kasey Kahne at the wheel. The organization will no longer field the No. 88, which has raced in the NASCAR Cup Series since 2008 with two-time Daytona 500 winner Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Bowman. Larson will become the 10th driver to pilot the No. 5 for the Hendrick organization.

NASCAR Hall of Fame driver Terry Labonte experienced the most success in the No. 5 Chevrolet, earning 12 Cup Series victories and winning the 1996 championship. Other drivers to win with the famed number include Geoff Bodine (seven wins), Kahne (six), Mark Martin (five), Kyle Busch (four) and Ricky Rudd (four).

“The ‘5’ is special to me. It’s the original,” Hendrick said. “I view it as Hendrick Motorsports’ flagship team in a lot of ways. To bring the car back to the race track is meaningful for my family and for many of our team members and fans. We plan to build on its winning history with Kyle and Cliff.”

Congratz to Kyle Larson for this Step to a Championship...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast