Post Comparison between Wireless and Wired networks for your PCs..etc

Wired Network

1)Wired networking requires cables to be connected to each and every computre in the network.

2)Cost of a Wired network is less as compared to wireless network as Ethernet,cables,swiches are not expensive,

3)Wired LAN offers better performance as compared to wireless networks.Wired network can offer 100Mpbs bandwidth using Fast Ethernet technology.

3)Ethernet cables,Swiches are used in wired network are reliable.

4)Security considerations for a wired network connected to the internet are firewalls. Firewall software can be installed on each computer.

Wireless Network

1)Wireless network can be configured in two ways. I.e. Adhoc or infrasture mode.Wiresless devices require WLAN cards and access points for communication.

2)Wireless networks requires equipments like Wireless Adapters and access points which ae quite expensive.Cost of wireless networks is high as compared to wired networks.

3)Maximum bandwidth provided by wireless network is about 11Mpbs.

4)The reliability of wireless network is less as compared to wired network.

5)WLANS use wired equivalent privacy(WEP) encryption to protect the data.This makes wireless networks as secure as wired networks.

6)Laptops and other computing devices can be moved around freely within the wireless network because mobility of wireless network is better as compared to wired networks.

Thanks jetta but I need to add to your thread.
    The information above is a little outdated- well, a lot outdated.
    Wired networks can now be gigabit speeds- 1000mbps.
    Wired is still for me the preferred method for stationary devices.

The cost of wireless has dropped significantly.
    Matter of fact, most routers and modems are wireless capable these days.
    Wireless speeds can go around 600mbps.
    There is also several different encryption methods available now.
    Within a reasonable distance to your wireless signal most devices are reliable.
    Wireless is subject to interference from outside devices.
    Interference can be from phones, microwaves, bluetooth, and many other things.

Great stuff thx BIO...

Warrior Member
    My new pc has 2 wifi sticks in the back. Im finding it just as good as hardwired. Less wires to. I hate wires lol
    I have to do some wire management....soon have to many sat wires going everywhere and don't need them all now as I have limited fta boxes now.

when it comes to online games it wire for me really not me but big kids

I have wireless going through the house but almost everywhere I plug anything electronic in has at least one wire sticking out to connect to. Nothing worse than needing a connection and finding that your wireless "stuttered" for some reason.

Another reason is just the kids themselves use over 10 network devices. The more things connected wireless the slower their devices are capable of. So if 3 are connected and they're downloading, streaming, etc their 54 connection is @18 a piece for upload and download is the router wireless card is 54 (which I have their router turned down to).

That is still faster than my dsl allows me but you get the picture for when they have 10 or 12 things connected. Plus, it takes processing power and memory for each connection. So if the router is underpowered the router itself becomes the bottleneck limiting connected users while the processor or memory struggles to keep up.

A good wireless access point will handle a lot of connections and be reasonably reliable as long as you're close enough and nothing else is interfering or slowing it down. An old router will let you down every time IMHO. For me, I don't see myself jerking the wires out for any time soon,, even if I don't use them.

unbanned christmas
    My iptv box runs faster and smoother with less to a none buffering when using the kat5 from modem to the iptv box than having it on the wifi option.

get active
    Quote Originally Posted by date View Post
    My iptv box runs faster and smoother with less to a none buffering when using the kat5 from modem to the iptv box than having it on the wifi
    option.
    ...My focus is more on the ISP, the modem they use, service they provide, bandwidth limits, my router, its lan and Wlan or wifi limits. As for buffering issues, that comes with the server you're connected to, its limitations, number of connections it has and the time of day as ISP servers have been known to cause bottlenecks of their own. As for in home use, you have to go with whatever works best but as for everything else, it really comes down to everything else, outside your house.

unbanned christmas
    Sure, true statement. I agree with everything you said.