Thread: Kodi 18.3

Electromagnetic Wrangler Extraordinaire

Kodi 18.3

Is there any point to upgrade my Kodi 17.6 which works fineto the new Kodi 18.3??
    something here

Originally Posted by the TechDoctor

Kodi 18 and how they compare to the tried & tested Kodi 17.6. The ones demonstrated include:

UI Changes when installing addons

On Kodi 17.6, to install a new addon required you to go to System first (to add in the repo) then go back to the homescreen to install from zip file and the addon). In Kodi 18, the system screen now has a section for both File manager & Addons.

Gaming - Kodi 18 brings gaming to the forefront. You get access to a large library of emulators with associated control support. No need to install manual repos / emulators.

Dependency changes

On Kodi 17.6, you could try and install an Add-on but if it failed, it was not easy to see exactly why it failed. Was there a missing dependency? What didn't install etc. In Kodi 18, each addon as a dedicated section for dependencies so you can see exactly what dependencies the add-on needs and what are already installed.

DRM Support - You can now install the a Netflix (or any DRM supported add-on) and watch it directly in Kodi 18 in full HD. This correctly support the widevine codec and I was able to playback 1080 content.

PVR Client updates

Overall speed and UI tweaks.

In summary, 18.3 is a fantastic version you should upgrade to.

3 Time Nascar Pool Winner 4me2c's Avatar
    I am Still with the Kodi 18....! Sees to bee quicker than 17.6 but, But,, BUTT, You might want to wait a little bit as Kodi 19 is out...!

If One is Content with 17.6, Ride it til it doesn't work or see if a USB Flash can bee installed and back up all of what You have on 17.6, that way You can put it back on if You don't like the 18... Version(s)...!

Quote Originally Posted by djmcshain View Post
    Is there any point to upgrade my Kodi 17.6 which works fineto the new Kodi 18.3??
    If the addons you use are working OK on 17.6, they may not work on 19, as the Python2 code interpreter built into Kodi (pre v.18) will be fully phased out in lieu of Python3 for v.19.
    *If your addons auto-update, you "should" be OK, as most plugin Authors have been re-writing there compilations.