Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar

2019 British Open - Shane Lowry

Royal Portrush Golf Club
    Northern Ireland

After Friday's round, J.B. Holmes and Shane Lowry share the 36-hole lead at the 148th Open Championship.
    Tommy Fleetwood and Lee Westwood are tied at one stroke back from the leaders.
    Brooks Koepka, Jordan Spieth and Justin Rose are within three strokes of the lead.
    One stroke back from them are Tony Finau, Patrick Reed, Jon Rahm and Matt Kuchar.
    Dustin Johnson and Xander Schauffele had two of the best rounds of the day and made major moves up the leaderboard to get within five strokes of the lead.

Rory McIlroy misses the cut by one stroke.
    Tiger Woods misses the cut by six strokes. With Tiger's back problems, the cold damp weather did not help. As Tiger himself says... ' I don’t have the flexibility I used to have, and never will '
    David Duvall misses the cut and records the highest score in Open history with a one day's tally of 20 over par, including 14 strokes on the seventh hole.
    Jason Day and Phil Michelson are a couple other notables that missed the cut.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Third Round just got underway (live).
    The third group are now teed up at the first hole. Bubba Watson and Brian McDough.. Brian is Northern Ireland's guy now since Rory missed the cut
    The winds are gusty and up to 18 or 19 mph and been increasing. They are saying tomorrow's winds will be even stronger.
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 07-20-2019 at 08:58 AM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Been some great golf today.
    The final group is heading to the 18th green.
    Lowry needs one more birdie to record a round of 62. I think they said that only one other person ever made a 62 in Open tournament history.

well, Lowry had a 35 or 40 ft putt for birdie and the ball came to a stop within a horse's hair of dropping
    But a 63 gets him the course record and also the lowest total score coming into the final round at any Open.
    He also has a 4 stroke lead heading into tomorrow.
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 07-20-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    - Frank Zappa

With the expected rain and high winds today (in Northern Ireland), the players have been tee'ing off earlier then normally would.
    The first group is heading to the 5th tee box already this morning (live).
    I just hope they can complete the round.
    Yesterday's round (Saturday) felt like a final Sunday round, so today (Sunday) should be some great golf as well

Bubba just drop one for an Eagle !!
    There were a few Eagles yesterday too.
    Rose was looking like he was falling back till he made Birdie, Eagle, Birdie... put him once again within reach of the leaders
    Lowry was on fire yesterday !!!

BTW... The Open can be seen on the Golf Channel (NBC), till later in the day when it switches over to NBCSN or TSN

--'Merge posts'--

Time to switch channels over to TSN for me

Seeing some pretty good golf shots so far from these first dozen 'groups' (or 'games' as the British commentator calls them).
    Ernie Els is out on the Lynx too!
    He has a chance to creep up on a standing Major Open record today. Ernie currently sits one back from Nick Faldo with the most career birdies in Major Open play.
    They both are sitting a few back from the other two leaders.
    I just mention this because Faldo was doing some commentary earlier on and he had some fun that

The rain has started too... Nothing serious yet, but its coming !

added correction --
    I mentioned 'Brian McDough' in first couple of posts. BUT it is Graham McDowell and not Brian which I meant.
    Sorry about that Graham
    He worked at this Golf Club when he was a youngster.
    Graham just tee'd off hole #1 with a huge ovation from the Gallery.... the Northern Irelanders love him
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 07-21-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    - Frank Zappa

Rain is coming down hard now and should last 10 or 15 minutes, according to the 'meteorologist' in the booth
    They are not stopping play, since there is no expected Lightening in the area... and well, that is just what they do over in Ireland

The last group of Lowry (-17) and Fleetwood(-11) are finishing up on the front 9
    Fleetwood looked like he might catch Lowry and at one point was 3 strokes back, but a Bogey or two from Fleetwood and Lowry still making Birdies, that pretty much put the kybosh on that idea

It is looking pretty great for Lowry.. but a long way to go yet with 9 more holes for the final group
    And the rain did let up somewhat
    - Frank Zappa

seems like your alone on this thread boss. I don't know much about golf
    All information provided is for informational purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    seems like your alone on this thread boss. I don't know much about golf
    Is okay
    Most of the reason why I post the highlights is so a year from now any one of us can open any of these Major Championship threads and re-cap at what went on during the Final rounds.
    And for those that just want to hear what has been happening while they slept, since it does start live @ 1 or 2 am in the morning in North America.

BTW...
    Lowry won, with 6 strokes up on Fleetwood.
    That rain stopped and when it did, seemed like everyone was getting Bogeys, even Lowry.
    The ball would be hit for a bump and run type shot, but would stop dead upon landing
    The rain and their play underway and the after effects made for horrendous golfing conditions... as one player said (I think that was Tommy Fleetwood).

It took the players a couple of holes to adjust and then the Birdies from Lowry started again
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 07-21-2019 at 11:53 PM.
    - Frank Zappa