Thread: STB freeze prob

STB freeze prob

Hi

This a new prob for me, the stb has worked very well for a couple of yrs.

On occasion the box is either off and won't turn on via the rc. Or, frozen and also unresponsive to the rc .

Fixed by a hard boot.

Recently replaced the power supply. Firmware is the most recent.

Is this common or is there a fix?

have you read this not sure if this will help but it may be what you are experiencing , I had to do it to my mag254.. http://iptvtalk.net/showthread.php?39778-Infomir-BLOCKING-portals&highlight=block

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    gotta remember too that hardware in these devices is only 'expected' to last 2 to 3 years, that is what any support team will tell you.
    After so much use things can start to get funky. Parts become in-efficent, perhaps due to heat over the years of use or other such reasons.
    But with symptoms as described, it may be something to consider.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

TV Addicted
    2-3 years??? Bought a 254 when they first got started here. 2012 maybe? My old timers is messing with my memory a bit.... But being 2019 now and on the same mag without a hitch. That said, There have been occasions where I too had to do the same thing because it would stop responding while watching TV. A hard reboot would not stop it for very long. What I have found is if I unplug it for 5 minutes, then it is back to normal. Maybe the Mag don't release memory after using it causing a memory issue? Don't know. Only tossing out possibilities from my experience using the box. Another thing to do is change the buffer. When the box starts freezing, I raise the buffer and it helps. However too much buffer and the box will freeze also. As an example...... I am watching TV and the box starts freezing. Not long but enough to get under my skin. I raise the buffer to stop the problem and it works. Then it starts freezing again. So I lower the buffer to 0. Guess what? It smooths things out again. I run 0 buffer most of the time. If my Internet connection is a little slow, a small buffer setting will help it along. With 0 buffer the loading bar fills fast. With buffer set the loading bar fills up measurably slower. The key to a good playback is a loading bar that loads fast. Keep that data moving and all is well. Finally when all else fails I then go to the inner portal and run a speed test. Every time the buffer settings can't smooth things out, a speed test reveals too slow a connection or an unstable connection I think caused by Throttling by the service provider. But could be just a bad connection somewhere between you and the server dishing out the channel you are watching. There is a lot of real estate to cover that could have data bottlenecks causing the problem. Have a great day!

Time to upgrade!!!
    -Battery will only last 2-3 years.
    -Small form factor SMT IC's, will, over time, grow "Spurs", between pins, that will cause intermittent shorts(especially problematic in lower quality manufacturing facilities).
    -New chipsets for new video protocols, internet security etc.

Junoir Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooty View Post
    Time to upgrade!!!
    -Battery will only last 2-3 years.
    -Small form factor SMT IC's, will, over time, grow "Spurs", between pins, that will cause intermittent shorts(especially problematic in lower quality manufacturing facilities).
    -New chipsets for new video protocols, internet security etc.
    Not trying to be a butt, but the the "spurs" you describe are called whiskers. I'm not sure that small form factor is really relevant to the growth of such whiskers, maybe I'm wrong...unless small form factor is causing a thermal problem. The main factor for growth of whiskers is due to use of lead-free solder.

Again, not trying to be a smart alloc. Just throwing my two cents in.