Dell Inspiron 6000 processor and RAM upgrade

Have tried to get this information from DELL without luck.
    Could anyone tell me how far in terms of processor speed and how far in terms of RAM can one take the Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop?

The old Dell laptop I have has a 1.40Ghz processor and 2.GB RAM
    Advise

I don't know if this will help you but important information from page 93. check it out
    Code:
    https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-6000_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf
    All information provided is for informational purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Ram upgrade is easy, but upgrading processors requires a lot of extra work, in as far as chipset drivers etc.
    Most Motherboard architectures will support only a certain range of cpu's/speeds.
    If your pc's cpu is at the low end, then maybe upgrading would have a benefit.
    Otherwise, I would recommend you get a new one, and give the old one to the "Kids".

Well, I did some research on this old model Dell Inspiron 6000, and apparently, the CPU can be upgraded to a processor of 1.73GHz. The RAM could remain at 2Gb.
    Would that upgrade not give you a much better speed? Anyone who has a 1.73GHz processor installed in a Dell Inspiron 6000 can advise on this upgrade.
    Features 2MB Cache, 533MHz Front Side Bus, and Core Clock Speed of 1.73GHz.
    sSpec Number: SL7SA, 0SL7SA
    CPU Speed: 1.73 GHz
    PCG:
    Bus Speed: 533 MHz
    Bus/Core Ratio: 13
    L2 Cache Size: 2 MB
    L2 Cache Speed: 1.73 GHz
    Package Type: 478 pin
    Manufacturing Technology: 90 nm
    Core Stepping: C0
    CPUID String: 06D8h
    Thermal Design Power: 27W
    Thermal Specification: 100�C
    VID Voltage Range: 1.287V-1.4V

3 Time Nascar Pool Winner 4me2c's Avatar
    Saw this :

"Laptops are sometimes not cpu upgradeable but not always.
    In the case of the Inspiron 6000 you will be able to use any Pentium "Dothan" 533FSB up to 2.26Ghz. The cpu is socketed.

Be sure to clean the cooler and apply new thermal paste while you are in there."...

Attempt at Your Own Risk...!

Quote Originally Posted by frankglo View Post
    Well, I did some research on this old model Dell Inspiron 6000, and apparently, the CPU can be upgraded to a processor of 1.73GHz. The RAM could remain at 2Gb.
    Would that upgrade not give you a much better speed? Anyone who has a 1.73GHz processor installed in a Dell Inspiron 6000 can advise on this upgrade.
    Features 2MB Cache, 533MHz Front Side Bus, and Core Clock Speed of 1.73GHz.
    sSpec Number: SL7SA, 0SL7SA
    CPU Speed: 1.73 GHz
    PCG:
    Bus Speed: 533 MHz
    Bus/Core Ratio: 13
    L2 Cache Size: 2 MB
    L2 Cache Speed: 1.73 GHz
    Package Type: 478 pin
    Manufacturing Technology: 90 nm
    Core Stepping: C0
    CPUID String: 06D8h
    Thermal Design Power: 27W
    Thermal Specification: 100�C
    VID Voltage Range: 1.287V-1.4V

That is not going to help you very much.
    *So, to make a long story short, get a new laptop.
    *(for under $300, you can quadruple your performance, and be "up-to-date)

- "The Long Story" (LOL)
    You need to move up from that old unit, as the max. ram is 2Gig.
    You want these days, to at least be running Windows 7, and that OS will take, at minimum, over half of your ram just sitting there, ...doing nothing!
    Your computer will be constantly page swapping data from memory, to the hard drive.
    If you still are using WinXP, then you will find many programs will no longer support that OS, and you wont get anymore support from Microsoft for XP.
    If there is an internet Security patch, virus update etc., required by any programs (Browsers, run-time libraries, etc.), you will be out of luck.

may be linux mint can help him with that laptop
    All information provided is for informational purposes only. Use at your own risk.

3 Time Nascar Pool Winner 4me2c's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by frankglo View Post
    Have tried to get this information from DELL without luck.
    Could anyone tell me how far in terms of processor speed and how far in terms of RAM can one take the Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop?

The old Dell laptop I have has a 1.40Ghz processor and 2.GB RAM
    Advise
    What Dell is telling You is that You should get a Newer PC, preferably another Dell...! They don't want You to Upgrade what You already have They want You to Buy New...!

Got Me Mitts on an HP Omni 110 Pro AIO and the Specs say it has up to 4GB RAM well, I have 6GB in it now and as soon as the other 4GB RAM Stick gets here it will have a Total of 8GB RAM. The CPU can be Faster if I want but I Think I will stay at the 3Ghz that is in it now, actually it is 3.3....! Remember that RAM Today is Larger than when You got Yours but the Actual Size, Width x Height is still the same size. the CPU should bee the same way just make sure You get the Same Socket...! Good Luck, You Can Do IT...!