th.jpg
Jon Jones

th (1).jpg
Phil Brooks

Ever since he signed with the UFC, former WWE pro wrestling star Phil "CM Punk" Brooks has been a lightning rod for discussion and controversy. UFC fighter reaction to the sub-novice "Punk" signing with the world's top MMA promotion has been all over the spectrum.

Some fighters, like Urijah Faber and Donald Cerrone, have simply suggested the world let Brooks prove himself, and reserve judgment until then. Others, like "The Great MMA Debate" podcast's Matt Brown, have scoffed at the notion of a man with no athletic competition experience gearing up and fighting in the UFC.

One fighter and friend of Brooks, featherweight Cole Miller, has gone on record promising that "CM Punk" will outright kick some butt in the UFC.

During a recent radio interview to promote this Saturday's UFC 182 pay-per-view, which he headlines opposite Daniel Cormier, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones went further than just about any other naysayer when he wished harm on "Punk."

"I really hope UFC gives him a real opponent so we can watch him get knocked out," Jones said Monday on the "Chad Dukes Vs. The World" radio show.

"I just think it's unfair for the people who have been working their tails off to earn this opportunity. Every day I'm at the gym watching these kids training. These guys have no money and they're training their tails off, giving up everything to be a fighter."

Jones himself went through his share of hard knocks before becoming a successful UFC champion. "Bones" doesn't like seeing a ready-made celebrity with drawing power like Brooks waltzing into a lucrative UFC contract with exactly zero MMA experience.

"[Many fighters are] living in the gym, eating turkey and peanut butter, bare minimum to chase this dream," Jones explained.

"And then a superstar like [CM Punk] just gets to jump into the UFC just because he knows the right people and has a name."

The fighter's unease with the situation is understandable, though he clearly isn't a pro wrestling hater. The 27-year-old champion knows full well that Brooks is garnering a lot of much-needed recognition for the UFC.

"It's gonna bring a lot of publicity," Jones admitted.

"I went to my first WWE match this year, and the enthusiasm and emotion on the fans faces, it was like they were watching real fighting in the UFC. I do have a respect for the influence of the WWE and the passion of the fans."