Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dara View Post
    But that's Canada. And thank you for pointing out the difference. On Veterans Day we have parades in the USA. You usually don't have parades if it isn't a 'happy' day. We save our remembrance for Memorial Day
    we have parades but we don't celebrate or say happy remembrance day

Fire From Within

Quote Originally Posted by dishuser View Post
    we have parades but we don't celebrate or say happy remembrance day
    We can agree that Canada isn't the USA. Do you have a day that celebrates military veterans and thank them for their service? (Honest question, and not intended as an argument)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dara View Post
    We can agree that Canada isn't the USA. Do you have a day that celebrates military veterans and thank them for their service? (Honest question, and not intended as an argument)
    we don't celebrate those who have served our country in war
    we honour them
    no argument here but I fail to see it being a happy occasion...it's not xmas

Fire From Within

No worries. Some here in the USA have to be reminded that our Memorial Day is supposed to be somber, while Veterans Day is about the living. I'm sure that many living veterans are glad to be alive, and we celebrate all, even those who did not serve in war.

I just saw an ad from the Polish government... saying Happy Veterans Day, America.

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    My Grandfather served in the Canadian army thru WW II
    He always referred to it as Armistice Day, which is the day that they signed the Armistice (peace treaty) at the end of WW I,, and then later it was the Treaty of Varsailes
    It is a celebration in a sense that it defines the end of the war and at same time it is a day to remember and honor their fallen brothers.
    My grandfather would dress up in his military attire every year and walk main street with other Veterans in the parade. Then they would meet at the Legion and tell stories and remember their friends till the late hours of the evening.
    One thing that stands out in my memory of all that is that it was the first time I saw my Grandfather feeling sad, very sad in fact, even to the point of tears at times...and it was same every year.

I still call it Armistice Day and I do make an appearance at the Legion every year in honor of my late Grandfather and in honor of those that gave their lives for us all.
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 11-11-2018 at 08:47 AM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Kind of cool that the US celebrated both days ,In honor vets that gave their lives for their country and a celebration to honor all the vets that have fought for their country

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    The USA had Veterans Day or Declaration Day long before the first world war and what has become Armistice Day or Remembrance Day.
    For the USA it started with the Civil War and hence is why there are two distinctions of this day in the USA
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Warrior
    thanks for pointing out the difference

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12