Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mag 256 Power Problems?

I have Mag 256 and I have a problem of the unit with no reason powers off from my TV and have to turn on the mag again and it continues from before turning off. Can someone help me with what's wrong to the mag?
    I factory reset the box and it still does that.

Ambassador
    You could try another HDMI cable. Also try plugging it in to another port on the tv.

Thanks

I will buy a new HDMI Cable and try your solution. Thanks

New cable HDMI and same problem.

Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by shaf4706 View Post
    New cable HDMI and same problem.
    Have you tried another input on the tv?Is the mag turning off and on right away or is it working for a bit then shuts off?

I tried a new cable and switched the HDMI ports. It works for a while and randomly either shuts off or sometimes I get a blue screen with no video but only get audio from the same channel. At that point, I power the box off and turn on and it continues with audio and video(It doesn't load portal again but continues).

Ambassador
    Looks like you almost tried everything.You tried a factory reset a new HDMI cable.You also tried another input on the Tv.The only thing you could try is another Tv or another Power supply.If you have a power supply around to try then it's all good.Make sure the volts are the same and amps a close.But if you don't the best thing to do is replace the box.If you replace it with a Dreamlink or Buzz box.There are a few other types of boxes talked about here but i have not tested them.You won't look back and you would be glad you did it.

Quote Originally Posted by shaf4706 View Post
    I tried a new cable and switched the HDMI ports. It works for a while and randomly either shuts off or sometimes I get a blue screen with no video but only get audio from the same channel. At that point, I power the box off and turn on and it continues with audio and video(It doesn't load portal again but continues).
    If you have a Volt meter, Check the DC Voltage of the AC adapter. Unplugged from the device it is usually about 10% higher than the Output rating (12VDC will read ~ 12.9 - 13.5)
    Now switch the Volt meter to AC Voltage and check the output.
    Normal AC noise would be ~ 10 - 15 VAC (higher would indicate a failing AC adapter)

*If the voltage is low, the STB will draw more current, causing more noise to your system.
    Drawing more current by a semiconductor device (IC, Transistor etc) generates extra heat & could possibly cause the Video Processing section to fail.
    /kens
    Last edited by kens; 09-12-2018 at 10:02 PM.

TV Addicted
    Try this go to the inner portal.
    settings
    system settings
    Advanced settings
    HDMI-CEC to disabled

Gary

This is the update of what I have done:
    The HDMI-CEC is disabled
    I used the power cord from my Mag 254 and used on 256
    I happened to have an old imageupdate (2016) file and restore the box again to default settings and update the box in the order of files updated.
    Currently using Jan 30th, 2018, file. I have not updated to Aug file due to power problems to see if the update created my problems.
    My problems exists.
    The box will start and I will get audio and video and will shut down within 20-30 secs.
    With remote the box will not power on so I have to unplug the box and plug back on.
    After going through the above routine than the box works with no more shutdown.
    Only thing I haven't being able to do is
    To restore the box to factory as when I go in bios is set to default settings but the file is current. Where can I find the imageupdate for Mag 256 factory file?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast