Thread: R.I.P. Ed King

R.I.P. Ed King

Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist Ed King, co-writer of 'Sweet Home Alabama,'

Ed King of the Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd died Wednesday.
    (CNN)Ed King, the Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist who co-wrote the Southern rock anthem, "Sweet Home Alabama," has died.

The retired guitarist died Wednesday at his home in Nashville, according to his Facebook page. The post did not include a cause of death or King's age.

King was a member of the Florida band in its early days. He left before a 1977 plane crash in Mississippi that killed three members of the group and later rejoined for a reunion tour.
    King was one of three writers of "Sweet Home Alabama," which was released on the album "Second Helping" in April 1974. The rollicking track begins with King counting "1-2-3," before the guitar lick that generations have come to know as a tribute to the state of Alabama.
    "When we were out in the country driving all the time, we would listen to the radio. Neil Young had 'Southern Man,' and it was kind of cutting the South down. And so Ronnie (Van Zant) just said, 'We need to show people how the real Alabama is,' " guitarist and founder member Gary Rossington told Garden & Gun in 2015.
    "It wasn't cutting him down," Rossington said of Young. "It was cutting the song he wrote about the South down. Ronnie painted a picture everyone liked. Because no matter where you're from, sweet home Alabama or sweet home Florida or sweet home Arkansas, you can relate."
    The iconic song was born in a practice session.
    Rossington told Garden & Gun he kept playing a riff over and over while they waited for everyone to arrive for rehearsal.
    "Ronnie and I were sitting there, and he kept saying, 'play that again,' " Rossington said in the 2015 article. "Then Ronnie wrote the lyrics and Ed [King] and I wrote the music."
    Four days later, the group recorded the hit, according to The Birmingham News.
    "I am mainly known as the one who verbally counted off 'Sweet Home Alabama,' then played the infamous Stratocaster riff as well as the solos in that tune," King said, according to the newspaper.
    "I am the luckiest guitar player that ever lived. Who could've guessed that song would pay the rent for over 30 years?"
    The band was named after a Jacksonville, Florida, high school gym teacher who was their nemesis. The teacher's name was spelled differently, Rossington told CNN. The group, who liked the Beatles at the time and just wanted to be a band, often got in trouble in gym class because of their long hair, Rossington said.
    Play Video

Lynyrd Skynyrd on longevity 04:06
    On Thursday, tributes poured in for King.
    Rossington tweeted: "Ed was our brother, and a great Songwriter and Guitar player. I know he will be reunited with the rest of the boys in Rock & Roll Heaven."

Lynyrd Skynyrd

@Skynyrd
    I’ve just found out about Ed’s passing and I’m shocked and saddened. Ed was our brother, and a great Songwriter and Guitar player. I know he will be reunited with the rest of the boys in Rock & Roll Heaven. Our thoughts and prayers are with Sharon and his family. -Gary Rossington

11:54 AM - Aug 23, 2018
    589 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Randy Bachman with Bachman-Turner Overdrive said King "wrote the anthem of the south with Sweet Home Alabama and was such a talented guitarist."

Charlie Daniels

@CharlieDaniels
    Just got word that Ed King, former guitarist with Lynyrd Skynyrd who played so many of the classic guitar parts on their early records has passed away.
    Rest in peace Ed, you left behind some great riffs Buddy

12:23 PM - Aug 23, 2018
    757 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    County music legend Charlie Daniels said King "played so many of the classic guitar parts on their early records."
    "Rest in peace Ed, you left behind some great riffs Buddy," Daniels wrote.
    King had been retired since 1996, according to his Facebook page.
    He once played the opening lick from "Sweet Home Alabama" for CNN's Jake Tapper, then with VH1 News. Tapper's interview with King in Nashville was featured in the 2002 documentary "Lynyrd Skynyrd's UnCivil War."

CNN
    Last edited by Capt.Kangaroo; 08-24-2018 at 07:04 AM.
    I gather darkness to please me...

Ambassador
    I copied this off the internet:

According to a Nashville news station WTVF, King had been battling cancer in the months prior to his death.[4]King died in his Nashville, Tennessee home on August 22, 2018 at 68 years of age.[15] His death was announced through his personal Facebook page.[10]
    Lynyrd Skynyrd member Gary Rossington, released a statement after King's death stating, "Ed was our brother, and a great songwriter and guitar player. I know he will be reunited with the rest of the boys in Rock and Roll Heaven. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family
    Last edited by Capt.Kangaroo; 08-24-2018 at 06:39 AM. Reason: killed the live links

Gallardo, I edited your post to kill the live links.
    Thanks for the info....
    I gather darkness to please me...