Pinball Wizard

PS4 Is Entering Final Phase of its Life Cycle

As reported by IGN

The PlayStation 4 is entering the final phase of its life cycle, according to Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO John Kodera.

Kodera told analysts and investors the console is entering the final phase of its life cycle, which was reported by The Wall Street Journal's Takashi Mochizuki on Twitter. The news was in the context of console revenue, which Kodera said would be negatively affected by a decrease in unit sales, but that recurring revenue from membership services such as PS+ would help cushion the impact.

He went on to suggest that March 2021 would be the time when the company would be looking beyond the PS4 console and into the future.

Kodera also touched on the topic of first-party titles, saying that the renewed focus wouldn't just mean more new IPs, but refreshing existing IPs and franchising the successful ones. He also told investors there are more exclusive titles for Sony's console on the way, and that "PSVR [is] growing, but [the] industry's growth is below market expectations."

Kodera took over the role of CEO when Andrew House stepped down last year.

Fire From Within

Seems like planned obsolescence to me. Technology does move on, and there is a market for that, but I was fine with my old Atari console from the 80's, lol.

Pinball Wizard
    I had Atari 2600 and 5200, colecovision and the original NES and eventually they become paper holders