Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by citrus View Post
    Because you are doing that on channels that have streams recorded by the provider. Try doing that on a channel that isn't, for example, International channels on a South American IPTV provider. The BOX has to be able to do this in these cases, as the stream isn't recorded by the provider. Essentially, the box will have to start recording as soon as you have changed channels REGARDLESS of whether or not you have started to record the stream. This is how PVR's function on Bell/DishNetwork/etc. They create a storage buffer.
    what android boxes work like a pvr ird?

TV Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by citrus View Post
    Because you are doing that on channels that have streams recorded by the provider. Try doing that on a channel that isn't, for example, International channels on a South American IPTV provider. The BOX has to be able to do this in these cases, as the stream isn't recorded by the provider. Essentially, the box will have to start recording as soon as you have changed channels REGARDLESS of whether or not you have started to record the stream. This is how PVR's function on Bell/DishNetwork/etc. They create a storage buffer.
    This would be hard to implement code wise, you would also need a substantially large SSD drive on deck to support the storage buffer. You would also need to ensure that the Chanel actually has a stream on it when iptv is known to be inaccurate and inconsistent

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy carl View Post
    This would be hard to implement code wise, you would also need a substantially large SSD drive on deck to support the storage buffer. You would also need to ensure that the Chanel actually has a stream on it when iptv is known to be inaccurate and inconsistent
    and the box would probably cost 4 times more

TV Addicted
    By "SSD" I'm assuming you mean a solid state drive; this would not be required. Any USB hard drive that is self powered (not powered through USB) would work. This entire setup would be no different than how our satellite receivers worked with IKS.

The only draw back is the Android operating system. It was not designed for TV/PVR type functionality; it was designed to run phones and apps. Buzz TV is just an app running within the Android operating system. Apps can be programmed to fire up when timers start, but the operating system is what actually operates the box itself and it would have to be programmed to turn the box on when a timer starts. Even though Android is just a bastardized version of Linux, I don't think the Buzz crew has access to modify the Android programming (I could be mistaken). If they do then this is totally possible. The reason our satellite receivers worked this way was because they had their own operating type systems (and of course no app access). If Buzz came up with their own operating system we would lose the benefit of being able to run Android apps which is one of the whole reasons for these boxes.

I'm sure it is completely possible to make these Android boxes run like our satellite receivers did as far as PVR functionality goes, but it will take a lot of programming to do it and I just don't see any company putting the time and effort into it. They'll sell boxes anyway.

I completely disagree. Bell PVR's as old as 5100's from 2001 did this with an ancient processor and a small 40GB 5400RPM IDE drive. It doesn't need to record all the streams, just the one you are actively watching. That's all Bell PVR's do. Once you change the channel, that previous buffer is gone and it starts again. Its irrelevant whether or not the channel has a working stream, it just has to start recording on each channel flip, if it records nothing, because there is nothing on that channel, so be it.

In any case, i wrote to BuzzTV and they claimed they are working to add all the features I outlined. Hopefully they succeed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234