Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ambassador
    Does anyone have any recommendations about buying the Extended Security Updates for Win 7?

3 Time Nascar Pool Winner 4me2c's Avatar
    Code:
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-to-offer-windows-7-extended-security-updates-to-smbs/

Ambassador
    That link didn't say anything about the Extended Security Updates for Windows 7. In one of the other links in this thread it said that the Extended updates could be used on the Professional Version. My version shows that it is the "Ultimate".
    Maybe I should just forget about it.

Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabacho View Post
    That link didn't say anything about the Extended Security Updates for Windows 7. In one of the other links in this thread it said that the Extended updates could be used on the Professional Version. My version shows that it is the "Ultimate".
    I read a bit on it.It will also come to an end at some point.Maybe it's time to bite the bullet Bud and get windows 10 while you can.It's really not all that bad to learn how to use it.You can switch from tablet mode to normal mode and everything will almost be the same.

Exclamation

Code:
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-to-offer-windows-7-extended-security-updates-to-smbs/
    I tried the other one and got Page not Found, went back to their Main Site and got the Article Again and the Above Link shows the Page Better...! They may bee getting ready to change some stuff there as the deadline gets closer...!

"Microsoft announced that Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) will also be made available for small and midsize businesses (SMBs) to allow them to stay secure during the Windows 10 migration process.

This offer comes as a response to the different paces used by businesses to deploy the latest Windows 10 releases in their environments and their need to keep their systems secure until the process is over until Windows 7 hits its end of support.

"With that in mind, today we are announcing that, through January 2023, we will extend the availability of paid Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) to businesses of all sizes," said Jared Spataro, Corporate Vice President for Microsoft 365."

"Previously only available in volume licensing

SMBs will be able to purchase the ESUs on a per-device basis for the next three years, with the price to increase every year, in three consecutive 12-month increments.

For information on Windows 7 ESU pricing, customers are advised by Microsoft to reach out to their "Account Team CE for pricing and ordering information tailored to specific customer scenarios."

The Windows 7 ESUs were previously only available to large businesses and education customers that had Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Enterprise volume licensing agreements.

"Extended Security Updates (ESU) includes security updates for critical and important issues as defined by Microsoft Security Response Center(MSRC) for a maximum of three years after January 14, 2020," says Microsoft, following the end of support for Windows 7.

"Starting on December 1, 2019, businesses of any size can purchase ESU through the cloud solution provider (CSP) program," added Spataro. "This means that customers can work with their partners to get the security they need while they make their way to Windows 10."

"Windows 7 security fixes also available as micropatches

ACROS Security said in September that the 0Patch platform it operates will continue shipping vulnerability patches to its agents after Microsoft ends support for Windows 7.

For information on Windows 7 ESU pricing, customers are advised by Microsoft to reach out to their "Account Team CE for pricing and ordering information tailored to specific customer scenarios."

The micropatches issued by 0Patch are tiny sized patches designed to be applied to the OS without having to restart the machine or the application that needs to be patched.

"Each Patch Tuesday we'll review Microsoft's security advisories to determine which of the vulnerabilities they have fixed for supported Windows versions might apply to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 and present a high-enough risk to warrant micropatching," 0patch co-founder Mitja Kolsek said at the time.

While 0Patch's micropatches will usually be provided to the platform's paying customers, Kolsek stated exceptions will most probably be made for high-risk security flaws like those that could be used for creating auto-spreading malware."...!

Turned OFF Windows 7 Updates on 02-20-2020 and have No problems what-so-ever since...!

get active
    Does anyone have any recommendations about buying the Extended Security Updates for Win 7?
    I wouldn't recommend buying extended warranty coverage on anything and with that thought, I think it would be safe to say I wouldn't pay to extend security updates for Win 7. Truth, I actually bought Win 10 Pro on a thumbdrive, installed it on a PCIe M.2 drive and after seeing how bad it was, I shut it down, took out the drive, installed a new drive and then downloaded and installed Linux. No security issues, no problems, no lag, no bugs and no crapware so now it runs like a cheetah on steroids.

get active
    I think you're right, chasing Windows 7 which is on its last legs and drivers will become the next issue anytime you get to installing new hardware. If you have a spare hard drive lying about, download Linux Mint and burn the ISO to a disk, install it on your hard drive and take it for a spin. It should auto install all the drivers even for the very latest hardware. I've got an AMD machine with a Sapphire RT 5700XT card and it has no issues getting up and running.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12