Connect and Play Movies from Network Shared Drive

Is there a way to connect to a local network shared drive to play movies from it? I am looking to play MPEG, MKV files or mount and play a Blu-Ray ISO?

Thank you.

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    You can access any device connected to your network using some sort of file browser, like ES File Explorer or Total Commander is a good on for this.
    You can follow the paths to any device connected by using a File Explore/Manager.
    Your MPEG or MKV or the ISO file must be on your network (playing from a BlueRay Player for instance, will not work.. unless it went thru some sort of Media Center/Server type thing).
    The File Exploer would find the path you direct it to and once media file is found, then the File Explorer would ask you to select the Player that may be onboard your FormulerZ+ and is capable of playing that media.
    If for instance the Player can not play ISO files (which it can't), then you would need to convert them files first. Most Players can play most other formats. The VLC Player is yet to be seen a format it can't play (besides ISO files of course)
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by crazed 2.0 View Post
    You can access any device connected to your network using some sort of file browser, like ES File Explorer or Total Commander is a good on for this.
    You can follow the paths to any device connected by using a File Explore/Manager.
    Your MPEG or MKV or the ISO file must be on your network (playing from a BlueRay Player for instance, will not work.. unless it went thru some sort of Media Center/Server type thing).
    The File Exploer would find the path you direct it to and once media file is found, then the File Explorer would ask you to select the Player that may be onboard your FormulerZ+ and is capable of playing that media.
    If for instance the Player can not play ISO files (which it can't), then you would need to convert them files first. Most Players can play most other formats. The VLC Player is yet to be seen a format it can't play (besides ISO files of course)

Thanks for the information as I was able to get it to work. I have a HTPC on my network with both ISO Blu Ray copies and MKV copies. I can get the ISO to play if I mount the ISO in the HTPC on a Blu-Ray drive emulator and share that drive. I found MX player to work much better than VLC. VLC does not like to play the M2ts files. It may be a cockpit error so I will continue to work with it. The procedure to make all this work is pretty cumbersome but it does work. Playing an MKV is more straightforward.