Register
    Junoir Member

Recording with MAG 254

I noticed that recording to a flash drive is now working on the Mag 254. Has this been working since the last update or has it been working for some time now and I never noticed it.

Just curious

I never heard of this working I would like to know.

Junoir Member
    Just an update.
    The channel records to the flash drive for about 2 minutes, then the Mag drops the channel, reloads the channel but it does not record after that. The Mag shows that it is recording but nothing is saved to the flash drive after those first 2 minutes. Not sure why it does that. Have not found any settings that I could change to get it to record any longer. Will try a different flash drive.

TV Addicted
    Last I knew they did not have the servers set up for recording. Unless they have changed that, you won't be able to record with the mag.

Junoir Member
    It just seems strange that it records for 2 minutes 12 seconds every time I try it. I can play the recording back without any problems so I know it is recording. I tried a different flash drive but the same thing happens. If the servers are not set up for recording, then I would think that I could not record at all. I'm guessing that it is in the mag software that keeps it from recording.

Comments?
    pointy

TV Addicted
    Not strange at all. You start recording and after a few minutes the server "sees" that and shuts it down. Who knows how long the servers "check" the stream for that. I would say that every two minutes twelve seconds is what they are set for. Just my humble opinion formed by my observations that are always subject to change as the information changes. But the last I heard the servers were not allowing recording per say. Have a great day!

Junoir Member
    Digitaldan,

Thanks for the explanation. I was reading on other sites about this and the same thing was mentioned. What I don't understand now is, how does the server "know" if I am watching the channel verses recording the channel.

TV Addicted
    Things that make you go Hmmmm. I've wondered that myself. But then how does the server know you changed channels? Obviously the box is in two way communication with the server. You hit the record button, then the box rats ya out. Server then shuts down the recording.