Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Junoir Member

Dlite ISP Problem

I'm having a problem with my new Dreamlink Dlite. For some reason when my Dlite is booting it cannot connect to the Dreamlink server that's used to initialize the box. This only happens when I use MY ISP at home...... if I take the box somewhere and use a different ISP..... the box connects and works without any problems. I talked to my ISP and they claim they are not blocking any of the IP addresses that the Dlite is looking for when it boots. They also opened additional ports on my modem hoping that will solve the problem..... it didn't. They claim that there is really nothing more they can do for me unless I can get the actual IP address of the server that the Dlite uses to initialize....... that way they can make sure the needed IP is unblocked. Has anyone else had this problem, does anyone know the IP of the server used to initialize the Dlite, or does anyone know how to contact Dreamlink Dlite's tech support? I hope someone can help because I'd really like to get this box working. Thanks.

TV Addicted
    The first thing to try if you haven’t already is to do an IPTV reset. Whenever you change IP moving box from a different location, an IPTV reset is needed or you wont connect. Let us know if this works and if not, we can try a few other things.

Junoir Member
    I tried that and no difference.......... I still keep getting the big red square that says "cannot connect to market" which means it's not seeing the server. I've tried setting my router's DNS servers to Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4...... nothing. I've also tried bypassing my router entirely and going directly in to the modem........ no difference. I still believe it's a ISP issue, otherwise why would the box initialize and load when using another ISP but not when I use my connection at home. That's why I was trying to find the server's IP address or contact Dreamlink's tech support so I can make sure my ISP not blocking the IP the box needs.

Junoir Member
    It would have been nice if once the Dlite received its' initial update from Dreamlink's server there was no need for it to talk to the server every time it boots. However, they didn't design it that way and that's why I have this problem.

TV Addicted
    It may very well be an ISP problem but i cant help with that, I can only give tips on things to do on the box to try to remedy. Maybe Captainkangaroo will be in with some advice. I wouldn't rely on the Market message because as i understand it this device doesn’t connect to Market the way other DL’s do. I get the same message and I have service. Have you tried changing the portal you were assigned? I know theoretically things should work moving from one ISP to another but before focusing solely on the ISP i would try other possible fixes.

Junoir Member
    With my ISP connection you cannot get to the portal screen to set those up. Because the Dlite is not talking to its' server when it initializes the portal screen and the menus that go with it are not accessible. Those things do not seem to be stored on the box itself...... and are probably only available from the cloud. If I use someone else's ISP connection the portal setup screen and the menus that go with that all load fine. If the Dlite didn't have to talk to the server after it got its' first update, and the first software update gave you access to the portal setup screen and menus which were then stored on the box, you could load the first update from another ISP (like I did) and then use the box with an ISP that doesn't give you access to the Dlite's update server. Another alternative would be to have an update file available, that gives the Dlite full function ability without Dreamlink's cloud server, that could be downloaded on a thumb drive and flashed to the box. The way it is now...... if any ISP decides to block the Dlite's server IP.......... your box is a paperweight......... they don't even have to worry about blocking the portals themselves. The Dlite needs an update to be a stand-alone box and not one dependent on the cloud.

Anyways.......... as it looks like my ISP has somehow got the server IP blocked, I'm open to ideas if anyone has them. I've had a VPN suggested.... but I'm not sure how that would affect performance. If you are using one please let me know. Thanks.

TV Addicted
    So to be sure I understand, when I suggest to ‘change the portal’ I mean that this is done on the Papaio website, not on the box itself. This is where you also do an ‘IPTV reset’ - on the Papaio web site. Sorry if you know all of this already but I see you are new to this forum and service so I am just wanting to make sure we are on the same page with the use of terminology used here and what that actually means in order to help problem solve.
    One other thing, do not use a VPN, this is not supported with this service and will get you banned.

Junoir Member
    My Dlite is not even getting that far. In order to have Rocket IPTV work you have to setup the Papaio website in the "edit portal" screen. As accessing the "edit portal" screen is thru the cloud....... off of the DLITE SERVER that is blocked, I can not setup Papaio's or any portal on the my Dlite. The actual Papaio website is not blocked by my ISP. Here's what I think happens. When you first boot the box it goes out and looks for the DLITE SERVER to initialize itself. If it doesn't find that server, because that IP is blocked or for whatever reason, you get the red warning "cannot connect to market". At that point you don't have any access to the "edit portal" screen or any menus, so the box is basically non-functional. If the box finds the DLITE SERVER then it loads updates, the "edit portal"screen, and all the needed menus. It then goes to the portals you've setup and you have IPTV and a fully functional box.

I get the "cannot connect to market" warning and don't even make it as far as setting up the Rocket portal. If the box was stand-alone and didn't require the DLITE SERVER, I could setup my portals using a different ISP and would have IPTV because my ISP is NOT blocking Papaio. Because of my ISP..... my box cannot see the "DLITE SERVER", and because that's required I am stopped at step 1 and get the "cannot connect to market" warning and not the "edit portal" screen. Hope this makes things clearer. I don't think people realize that the Dlite has to be connected to both the DLITE SERVER (call it the cloud or Dreamlink server..... for initialization) and the Papaio or portal server to get IPTV. If any one of those two connections fail.....you're reading a book.

Junoir Member
    Thanks 85146. Real bummer about the VPN..... I was hoping to tunnel thru my ISP. I think I'm screwed when it comes to the Dlite!! It's a shame too because Dreamlink has been around long enough to know better. With something like this you never require server access for your box to boot and be fully functional....... it's common sense!!!! Any other box recommendations?

TV Addicted
    Well I wouldnt quit the DLite just yet. Captainkangaroo is the goto guy on these forums for DL issues so I am sure he’ll be checking in soon and can chime in. Can we back up a bit and look at what happens onece you start up the box? If it doesnt connect as you state, can you press the menu button to get into the settings for the box or is it just non-responsive and locked up at that point? Have you tried rebooting the modem and router if there is one in your network? Are you using wired or wifi? If I disconnect my internet connection I can still go into menu and settings and see portal settings, i dont know that these are on the cloud and should be built into the box’s basic os. All of your symptoms sure sound like a blocked IP but I still have my doubts its the ISP. How many times have you gone to the donation website and done an ‘IPTV reset’ for the account? Also, make sure that on the account website it isn’t locked to a specific ISP. This is a new feature they added to the account settings recently and the default may be ‘on’ which would also block the new IP at the new location. I really appologize if my suggestions are things youve already thought of or done, Im just trying to make sure we think of every possibility. As you've seen when youve had it working at another location, it is a great little box. And btw, I have no affiliation with DL, just a hobbiest using one of these boxes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast