Documentary on A&E silk road founder

I was interested to watch the show about how they tracked this guy down. I mean, I know how the bay is a cloud based situation with multiple VMs and all that.

However, the idea was that this guy was tracked back to his real identity via old data posts in forums that contained an avatar name that was identical to the login name used for administration of the site itself.

Obviously the techniques the feds used were not revealed but they claimed that his identity was discovered by finding old dated POSTS in a bitcoin forum. His avatar name gleaned the piece to put it all together to get warrants and put eyes on him. Then it was all classic loose lips sank, leverage, mental pressure and no real loyalty among the members.

I found it all very obvious that his use of public wifi to do administration was NOT a good idea but that only facilitated putting hands on him.

Its worth a watch, but you may need a drink.

I realized I am NOT paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Waylotul View Post
    I was interested to watch the show about how they tracked this guy down. I mean, I know how the bay is a cloud based situation with multiple VMs and all that.

However, the idea was that this guy was tracked back to his real identity via old data posts in forums that contained an avatar name that was identical to the login name used for administration of the site itself.

Obviously the techniques the feds used were not revealed but they claimed that his identity was discovered by finding old dated POSTS in a bitcoin forum. His avatar name gleaned the piece to put it all together to get warrants and put eyes on him. Then it was all classic loose lips sank, leverage, mental pressure and no real loyalty among the members.

I found it all very obvious that his use of public wifi to do administration was NOT a good idea but that only facilitated putting hands on him.

Its worth a watch, but you may need a drink.

I realized I am NOT paranoid.
    I watched also. Good documentary. You gotta cover your tracks especially when doing the super shady stuff. As he found out.
    I gather darkness to please me...

Yes, it was a total no brainer on many, many levels and arrogance kicked in as well. What do all men with power want...

I'm sure some information was force fed deception on the part of the man. I just never thought of seizing the server and it would be un-encrypted? That made it easy to lean on his lieutenants. His total ignorance of technology probably saved many lives but the concepts he was promoting, do have a place in our global society, just still out of our grasp.

Speaking of which, I noticed the bay was down for a bit this morning. Need that peter rabbit cam. LOL.