Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junoir Member

Changing MAC address on box

Hello,
    I purchased a Global Media Box 3 months ago. I subscribe to IPTV with a Service Provider (SP). I found another SP close to home and cheap. I would like to change the SP.
    When I took the box to configure it won't let me change the MAC address on the box. Is there a way to change the mac address, how do I change my SP? My previous SP will not release or deactivate the mac address, what should I do.

On the other forum I was told to request the previous SP to release it, I did try with no success.

I need some help. Someone please reply, I am desperately trying to change the SP.

Thanks

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    I don't know who your new SP is gonna be but if they offer m3u Playlist method, then you do not need the MAC attached.

Your old SP should release your MAC for you, if not then I'd say that they are 'bad actors'.
    But once that old code expires, the MAC may be released automatically anyway.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

is it possible to change the MAC address on Global Media box?
    thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by montell View Post
    is it possible to change the MAC address on Global Media box?
    thanks
    no there isn't

Quote Originally Posted by dishuser View Post
    no there isn't
    My question would be, ...Why?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooty View Post
    My question would be, ...Why?
    if you get a new box you don't have to bug seller

Quote Originally Posted by dishuser View Post
    if you get a new box you don't have to bug seller
    makes sense.
    thx for the info

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    At times a member may get a message stating that MAC they are trying to assign to their code 'already excists'

Only way around this is to have the member send me a picture taken of the MAC showing it on their receiver. Send to me or directly to server admins. Either way that's is where the picture ends up (in server admins inbox).
    Then they review it and release the MAC in all cases (long as the picture shows prove of the MAC). So then maybe after anywhere from 24 hours up to a few days later, the MAC gets released and the member can then use it.
    All this is because somewhere, somehow, that MAC was spoofed and used on another box. This is never really a malicious act, just someone that by chance spoofed that exact MAC and is using it on the system.
    When i get these messages, the first question I ask is if they are using a buzztv box and if answer is yes, then I tell them how to change the MAC themselves on their box (on the iptv app actually).
    That always is a success for the member and saves them countless hours of waiting for the administration to release that MAC.

But it is kind of a catch 22 situation
    Because the member has now just created a new MAC and may have unknowingly spoofed a MAC from a receiver that has not yet gone online, but is about to in about a week.
    And of course that new member with his new box sends me a message asking why they get a "MAC already excist" message and on their new box. And that member may not have a receiver that can change the MAC, so they wait ..(they would not need to wait thou as there are other methods to use your code without a MAC attached).
    Then I get the MAC changed for them (because their pic proved it was theirs) and then that other member that had earlier changed his MAC on his box...... is now locked out again... and the cycle continues

catch 22
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 08-02-2019 at 11:49 PM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Banned
    I had ***** tv free for 6 months cause someone publicly posted their mac addy

Quote Originally Posted by crazed 8.4 View Post
    At times a member may get a message stating that MAC they are trying to assign to their code 'already excists'

Only way around this is to have the member send me a picture taken of the MAC showing it on their receiver. Send to me or directly to server admins. Either way that's is where the picture ends up (in server admins inbox).
    Then they review it and release the MAC in all cases (long as the picture shows prove of the MAC). So then maybe after anywhere from 24 hours up to a few days later, the MAC gets released and the member can then use it.
    All this is because somewhere, somehow, that MAC was spoofed and used on another box. This is never really a malicious act, just someone that by chance spoofed that exact MAC and is using it on the system.
    When i get these messages, the first question I ask is if they are using a buzztv box and if answer is yes, then I tell them how to change the MAC themselves on their box (on the iptv app actually).
    That always is a success for the member and saves them countless hours of waiting for the administration to release that MAC.

But it is kind of a catch 22 situation
    Because the member has now just created a new MAC and may have unknowingly spoofed a MAC from a receiver that has not yet gone online, but is about to in about a week.
    And of course that new member with his new box sends me a message asking why they get a "MAC already excist" message and on their new box. And that member may not have a receiver that can change the MAC, so they wait ..(they would not need to wait thou as there are other methods to use your code without a MAC attached).
    Then I get the MAC changed for them (because their pic proved it was theirs) and then that other member that had earlier changed his MAC on his box...... is now locked out again... and the cycle continues

catch 22
    Whatever happened to the 00:1A:78 rule for STB Emulator apps (Stalker based), reserving 79 for the STB's with hard coded MAC's?
    If you have to internally change the MAC# in a STB app, they should use 78, avoiding the problem of someone randomly making up a MAC, that will "eventually" get registered to a new STB.

...Just an observation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast