Junoir Member

Cool Shazaam for Ads -- Adblock Live TV in realtime!

Hello, I'm hoping to get some general feedback on this interesting new idea.

I'm a developer who happens to hate TV ads with a passion. Recently I put together an experimental IPTV player (for Android) in an attempt to avoid being "adblasted" every 5 minutes.

The prototype works great! The app can detect ads instantly and will block ALL commercials on ANY live TV stream. Once detected it simply changes to another channel (without ads) for the duration of the adbreak.

Would anyone else in the IPTV community be interested in this feature?

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    A good working Player is always welcome for testing.
    The feature sounds interesting. If the Player is good , might be a good package.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Junoir Member
    Thanks for the reply. The player works well for purpose (m3u+xml) but won't win any design awards. Here are some front-end screenshots:

Alpha features include: live TV adblocking, grid EPG with side fuse countdown - sortable & searchable, boquets as dropdown folder list, and heirarchy of favorites - the topmost being the channel switched over to when ads occur.

As for testing, yes, I'll open up public beta testing soon in the android section. Or android users who really want to use this software first can drop me their email.

Right now I'm trying to gauge the general interest during my downtime. There are so many directions this idea can take (on any device) and I thought I'd start a conversation.

Fire From Within

Just me, maybe, but having no ads is as jarring as loud ads. Sometimes I have streams running in the background while doing other things, and if I see a still picture, or not hear anything, my first reaction is that the stream froze, and I may have to do something about it. You might want to consider running a optional user-selected video, maybe like those old style "please stand by" spots with "Syncopated Clock", that could run while the ad is being filtered that lets a user know that the stream is indeed still running.

Junoir Member
    Hey dara, thanks for your input. I agree that silence can be jarring, thankfully the system is designed with this in mind. There is no lengthy "dead air" if that is what you are thinking. The adbreak is "replaced" by starting a whole new live stream from another channel. In essence it automatically changes channel to avoid ads - then back again once it is over.

That's why you need to set your top favorite channel. It will be the one to switch to in the event of an ad on your current stream. But you bring up a good point, sometimes the buffering can take a while and that would be jarring silence. I think user-selected video would be a good feature in any case.

Fire From Within

Bear in mind that networks plan for those who try to avoid ads by changing channels... they'll run them at the same time, or so it seems. I guess you can switch to a premium channel or weather. Dodging ads is an on-going fight or you could just ignore them to the point where you mentally block out the product.

Junoir Member
    Yeah that is "game theory" or nash equilibrium or what ever it's called at work (when people act predictably to incentives). It is hard for people like me to ignore loud obnoxious sounds though, especially when they started selling drills and blowup mattress pumps non-stop during quiet late night hours. I want to make something you can put on with little effort and have on always, fall asleep to even.