Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Formuler Z7+

Thanks for the review Munstah.
    I get mine tomorrow and I am excited to test it out.
    I gather darkness to please me...

TV Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Munstah View Post
    So far I've only had limited time for testing. Appears there are two Z7+ out there. One comes with a north american power adapter (same as the dreamlink t1 plus actually) does not have internal wifi but comes with a rather large usb dual band antenna (excellent reception from my testing). The other model is the UK version with internal wifi antenna and included IR extender but ships with UK adapter and comes with a white plug converter (not ideal for those with crowded power bars). I am currently testing the 'North American' model and will check out the UK version later this week as well. I believe this box can be mounted behind tv (hence the IR extender on UK version).

I've tested the following so far:

- MYtvonline app which runs as one would expect (nothing new here, same slow EPG at this point in time)
    - Kodi 17.6 with beast build - wanted to test a larger complex build and it ran no problem.
    - Plex media server streaming both 1080p and 4k - ran well through kodi plex as well as playstore version. The usual initial buffering on the full 4k stuff.
    - A couple retro emulators - doesn't require much horsepower so ran well as expected
    - Teamviewer quick support remote access worked flawlessly

The GUI is much nicer than the dreamlink IMO and the box itself has a premium feel to it. Very responsive with smooth transitions between applications. Will post more this week as I play around with it. Still not sure if it's worth the price though
    Excellent first test good sir, the UK version has an IR blaster and built in wifi for sure as most of the UK versions for formuer have this maxs behind the tv mourning great. I suspect the mytvonline app will eventually get a boost for this box but I don’t know what to expect in terms of it being exclusive to just this box. It’s tough because unless the app utilizes the hardware to its true potential then it will still be the same across the board

should be interesting to see. Hopefully will have the UK version tomorrow or Wednesday so I can compare mainly the difference in wifi performance. At this point I'm leaning toward carrying the UK as the IR blaster and rear mounting options are nice to have and cost on UK vs NA version are virtually the same at this point in time.
    Owned devices: Nvidia Shield (2015 & 2017), Minix X8-H Plus, U1, U9-H, Dreamlink T1, Dreamlink T1 Plus, Avov Tvonline, Global media box 4k, Mi box, Buzz xpl2000, Buzz xpl3000, T95Z Plus, Formuler Z7+ (UK & NA)

Junoir Member
    Any update on whether Kodi runs faster on this compared to their earlier boxes?

TV Addicted
    should be interesting to see. Hopefully will have the UK version tomorrow or Wednesday so I can compare mainly the difference in wifi performance. At this point I'm leaning toward carrying the UK as the IR blaster and rear mounting options are nice to have and cost on UK vs NA version are virtually the same at this point in time.
    Look forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by ap1979 View Post
    Any update on whether Kodi runs faster on this compared to their earlier boxes?
    The extra gig of ram definitely helps with kodi. Difference in performance compared to T1/T1 plus is quite noticeable here.
    Owned devices: Nvidia Shield (2015 & 2017), Minix X8-H Plus, U1, U9-H, Dreamlink T1, Dreamlink T1 Plus, Avov Tvonline, Global media box 4k, Mi box, Buzz xpl2000, Buzz xpl3000, T95Z Plus, Formuler Z7+ (UK & NA)

TV Addicted
    The extra gig of ram definitely helps with kodi. Difference in performance compared to T1/T1 plus is quite noticeable here.
    Good to know keep up the good work Munstah... reporting live from the field

Junoir Member
    is the Formuler Z7+ the same box as the Formuler Z Prime...............................thanks

TV Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by elmanaba View Post
    is the Formuler Z7+ the same box as the Formuler Z Prime...............................thanks
    No the prime is the before model of the Z7plus

Got a chance to compare UK version with built in wifi to the NA version with USB wifi dongle tonight. The built in is 2.4 ghz only and noticeably slower than the dongle when within 5ghz range (to be expected). Basically same internal wifi used in the T1 plus. Those with less than ideal home network setups would certainly benefit from purchasing the NA version. Using the 5ghz band I was able to test at 180 down compared to 45 on the 2.4. The range is also better on the dongle (with a roughly 5 inch long antenna it had better be). The IR extender packaged with the UK version is a nice touch IMO works well and and allows you to conceal the box. I used velcro adhesive strips and mounted behind my TV during testing.

The dongle itself is a W2 Dreamlink model which is the same one packaged with the newer dreamlink T1 plus devices. Though wifi for me personally is a non-issue having hard wired my home, I am now leaning toward stocking the NA model due to greater placement flexibility.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast