Pinball Wizard

New ‘Reaper’ Botnet: It’s Already Infected Over a Million Devices

Just in time for Halloween, a growing hacked device botnet named "Reaper" could put the internet in the dark.

Over a million internet-connected cameras and routers have already been infected, researchers with the Israeli-based firm Check Point says — and the number is growing.

"Our research suggests we are now experiencing the calm before an even more powerful storm," they warned last week. "The next cyber hurricane is about to come."

"Botnets" consist of vast networks of thousands and even millions of computers that have been infected with malware, enslaving them to do someone else's bidding. They can be commanded — usually without their owners' knowledge — to provide the raw computing power to take down websites and launch further cyberattacks.

Last fall, chunks of the internet went offline for hours when a botnet of hacked cameras called "Mirai" was used to launch a "distributed denial of service" or DDoS attack on a major internet infrastructure provider. Sites like the New York Times, Twitter, and Netflix were unreachable via their web addresses for several hours.

Now "Reaper" could make that botnet look like child's play. "It's a very big deal," Avivah Litan, an analyst at Gartner, told NBC News.

Worse than last year's massive attack

The botnet spreads from hacked device to hacked device, sneaking in via known security vulnerabilities, according to an analysis by Chinese researchers at 360 netlab. The at-risk devices include several webcams and routers, including those by popular makers such as Linksys, Netgear, and dlink, none of whom provided a comment to NBC News in time for publication.

This is different from the attack last fall, which only used weak and default passwords to get into devices. It could easily be wiped just by rebooting the device. But the new botnet has automated basic hacking techniques in order to spread further. And by using known exploits it can get in and spread without raising any alarms.

"The potential here is even bigger than what Mirai had,” Maya Horowitz, the manager of Check Point’s research team, told Wired magazine. “With this version it’s much easier to recruit into this army of devices.”

Check Point said we were experiencing "the calm before the storm" and warned that companies should make preparations for a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack which could potentially knock them offline.

DDoS attacks were made famous by Lizard Squad, the cyber gang that took down the PlayStation network during Christmas of 2014.

They involve flooding websites or other targets with traffic so they collapse.

Security experts have been told to check over company networks and take any of the possibly infected gadgets offline.

Those who might have the products in their home are told the same, although the only difference they might notice is slower wifi speeds.

what a treat for us ... i thought the drunk drivers were enough ..

maybe its a game it was for these two ;x ~>
    Code:
    hxxps://blog.cloudflare.com/the-ddos-that-almost-broke-the-internet/
    who ever created this demonic thing turn his work in to the public ~>
    Code:
    hxxps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirai_(malware)
    & is still at large ... how or why is unknown ........
    knowledge is power , power corrupts all .

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    been reading this recently.

Saw some interesting theories about this developer , if he or she is really the actual developer (Anna is the name he or her uses on hacker forums).
    Some say it is borrowed code with a bit of reworking.
    There is Russian language in the script , which leads some to think he is Russian. The script with the Russian language is old script and so that leads some to believe it was a decoy or that the malware was borrowed and is why the old Russian script. Then Anna makes a post at hackerforums saying some stuff and part of that was how he was just boarding a plane to go somewhere outta US jurisdiction.
    lol....I say BS on that. More like he was scared and trying to throw the boys in the ice creams suits off the trail.

Seems that if the vendors of these IoT had better security then things like this would not happen, or be on a lesser scale anyway. But then I reading more and well, you cant put legislation across boarders..

Seems reaper has not done any damage yet. Its sitting there on infected devices just waiting. The number of IPs dramatically rose in this last month or so.

Spyhunter Virus and Malware removal tool boosts that it can remove Reaper. The scan is free but to remove the infection, you would need to buy the full version.
    Spyhunter has also posted a online guide to show you how to get rid of any infected files or folders, but be careful with what you do as doing an incorrect key stoke can really mess up your Operating Systems
    Google search Reaper Malware Removal
    That will get you the posted how to guide
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 10-26-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Pinball Wizard
    Good info!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laser View Post
    Good info!!!
    i second that .. i can sleep now

Code:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/cse-canada-cyber-spy-malware-assemblyline-open-source-1.4361728

some more bs
    Code:
    hxxps://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/01/who-is-anna-senpai-the-mirai-worm-author/

Code:
    hxxps://howtoremove.guide/reaper-malware/
    replace xx with tt

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbear199 View Post
    Code:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/cse-canada-cyber-spy-malware-assemblyline-open-source-1.4361728
    awesome ;D

ty for post ... good read

Then Anna makes a post at hackerforums saying some stuff and part of that was how he was just boarding a plane to go somewhere outta US jurisdiction.
    lol....I say BS on that
    lol i guess he never watched the movie catch me if you can ;x

& he's doing interviews on the link i posted ;x crazy

i have no idea who he is & i don't wana know....... the last line of text via PM was my idea ........