Morning Report: Jon Jones hopeful for 'a respectful relationship' with Daniel Cormier after he beats him at UFC 182
453175168_0.jpg

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones may have threatened to 'literally kill' top contender Daniel Cormier, but that can apparently all be over with at UFC 182.

"I think a lot of times when you get a fight that's personal it motivates the athletes," Jones told UFC.com. "No one wants to lose to someone you don't like."

Jones and Cormier have gone back and forth either directly or via the media for months ahead of their bout on Jan. 3, but Jones insists the war of words will be settled following another successful title defense.

"I'm sure when I beat him he won't like me too much," Jones said of Cormier. "I could see me and Daniel having a respectful relationship after the bout. Our problems ... they really aren't that personal. They're actually kind of silly. After you fight a guy you definitely develop a certain amount of respect for him and bond with him. So yea, I could see us not having problems after this fight."

As far as the fight itself, Jones doesn't sound intimidated by Cormier's impressive credentials, least of all his undefeated 15-0 record.

"It's hard to say how the fight's going to go," said Jones. "I'm predicting that the fight will be extremely entertaining and I believe that I'll come out on top.

"Ultimately records are for DJ's and technically I'm undefeated, as well, so I don't really worry about him being undefeated. It's really about who competes better at that moment."

Jones faces Cormier Jan. 3 in the main event at UFC 182 in Las Vegas, Nevada.