George A. Romero, 'Night of the Living Dead' creator, dies at 77

Legendary filmmaker George A. Romero, father of the modern movie zombie and creator of the groundbreaking “Night of the Living Dead” franchise, has died at 77..

Romero died Sunday in his sleep following a “brief but aggressive battle with lung cancer,” according to a statement to The Times provided by his longtime producing partner, Peter Grunwald. Romero died while listening to the score of one his favorite films, 1952’s “The Quiet Man,” with his wife, Suzanne Desrocher Romero, and daughter, Tina Romero, at his side, the family said.

Romero jump-started the zombie genre as the co-writer (with John A. Russo) and director of the 1968 movie “Night of the Living Dead,” which went to show future generations of filmmakers such as Tobe Hooper and John Carpenter that generating big scares didn’t require big budgets. “Living Dead” spawned an entire school of zombie knockoffs, and Romero’s sequels included 1978’s “Dawn of the Dead,” 1985’s “Day of the Dead,” 2005’s “Land of the Dead,” 2007’s “Diary of the Dead” and 2009’s “George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead.”

The original film, since colorized, has become a Halloween TV staple. Among other notable aspects of the cult classic was the casting of a black actor, Duane Jones in the lead role, marking a milestone in the horror genre.

omero wrote or directed projects outside of the “Living Dead” franchise too, including 1973’s “The Crazies,” 1981’s “Knightriders” and episodes of the 1970s TV documentary “The Winners.” His last credit as a writer was for his characters’ appearance in 2017’s “Day of the Dead” from director Hèctor Hernández Vicens.

George Andrew Romero was born in the Bronx in New York City on Feb. 4, 1940. He attended Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, and graduated in 196 from the university’s College of Fine Arts.

In recent years, as the zombie genre had a resurgence, Romero wasn’t always a fan. He told a British newspaper in 2013 that he’d been asked to do some episodes of 'The Walking Dead,' but had no interest.

"Basically it’s just a soap opera with a zombie occasionally,” he told the Big Issue. “I always used the zombie as a character for satire or a political criticism, and I find that missing in what's happening now."

Romero took an intellectual view to his depiction of zombies, an approach he found lacking in some of the work that came after him.

"I grew up on these slow-moving-but-you-can't-stop-them [creatures], where you've got to find the Achilles' heel, or in this case, the Achilles' brain," Romero told The Times in 2005, referring to the organ whose destruction waylays a zombie. "In [the remake] they're just dervishes, you don't recognize any of them, there's nothing to characterize them.... [But] I like to give even incidental zombies a bit of identification. I just think it's a nice reminder that they're us. They walked out of one life and into this."

His critical eye could be trained on subjects beyond the undead. In 1988, he remarked on the street scene on Hollywood Boulevard to a Times reporter, making a prediction that proved true.

"I know they're trying to clean up Hollywood Boulevard," he said eyeing the odd, colorful crowd at rush hour. "But you'll always be able to get a tattoo here. It'll just cost more."

At the time, he was promoting the horror film “Monkey Shines.”

"I've been criticized the most for not writing good-guy/bad-guy characters," he explained. "But my people aren't clear-cut because real people aren't clear-cut. They're usually very gray, very ambiguous.

"That's what makes this story so disturbing, because you don't know where you stand with everyone. There's a wonderful line in the original novel--'the devil is instinct.' And I think that's what I responded to most--the theme of the evil within, the Jekyll-and-Hyde quality of the character."

UPDATES:

2:45 p.m. This story was updated with biographical information and quotes from Romero over the years.

This article was originally published at 2:05 p.m.

By: Tre'vell AndersonContact Reporter
    Source: latimes.com
    I gather darkness to please me...

Fire From Within

To be honest, I could only watch "Dawn of the Dead", which is a masterpiece... all the other zombie movies are just copies, some more funny than others.

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    Romeros directing debut, Night of the Living Dead was released in 1968 or 1969
    There were no actors names listed in the credits because none of the actors were known then or even later.
    It became a cult classic.
    However George saw very little to no profits from the film due to his own mistakes with the rights of the film.
    This was basically the reason that George made a remake of the original in the 1990s. Not really about the profits but about showing the film producers that it was his work to begin with.

Rest in Peace George
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by dara View Post
    To be honest, I could only watch "Dawn of the Dead", which is a masterpiece... all the other zombie movies are just copies, some more funny than others.
    Day of the Dead, also written and directed by Romero, and part of the "Dead trilogy" (Night of, Dawn of, Day of), was also pretty good and worth a watch.
    Beginner's Guide for Rocket, NFPS and IKS66...
    http://iptvtalk.net/showthread.php?2...-you-should-do

Kodi Options for Rocket, NFPS and IKS66...
    http://iptvtalk.net/forumdisplay.php?71-Kodi

Check the Announcement Section...
    http://iptvtalk.net/forumdisplay.php...-Announcements

Pinball Wizard
    Day of the dead was a masterpiece and my uncle took me to see at the movie theather i was hooked. RIP Zombie king!!

Agreed... And I was remiss in not offering an RIP to Mr. Romero, so RIP GAR. He definitely reignited the horror movie genre; I owe him a lot for that.
    Last edited by ilan; 08-19-2017 at 04:01 PM.
    Beginner's Guide for Rocket, NFPS and IKS66...
    http://iptvtalk.net/showthread.php?2...-you-should-do

Kodi Options for Rocket, NFPS and IKS66...
    http://iptvtalk.net/forumdisplay.php?71-Kodi

Check the Announcement Section...
    http://iptvtalk.net/forumdisplay.php...-Announcements