Man arrested after smashing window, saving dog from hot car

ATHENS, Ga. — Georgia state law allows an individual to break a car window to save a child in distress, but the same protection does not apply when a pet's life is at stake, as one man has quickly found out.

Michael Hammons of Athens was charged with criminal trespassing after smashing the window of a Mustang to free a small Pomerian mix left inside the hot car Saturday in a shopping center.

Witnesses said that while a group of shoppers waited for police to arrive to free the dog, the Army veteran smashed the window, multiple news outlets report.

"I knew there'd be consequences, but it didn't matter," Hammons told WAGA-TV. "Glass, they make new glass every day, but they could never replace that dog."

Deputies said the car's owner, Elantra Cunningham, 22, of Athens insisted Hammons be arrested. Cunningham was cited for leaving the dog in the hot car.

Hammons has admitted to his actions, which he took after he said the dog appeared to be in distress. After Hammons freed the dog, witnesses said he took the pet to a shaded area and gave it water.

"We didn't want to charge him, but he told us he broke the windows and when you have a victim there saying she wants him charged, we had no other choice," said Oconee County Chief Deputy Lee Weems.

Thats my state for you...
    I would do the same thing, child or animal. If its locked inside on a hot day, I guarantee you a broken window.

unbanned christmas
    They call it love, what kind of love when you lock someone in a hot car, how about you lock yourself instead in that hot car and see if you can afford the high temperature.
    I double your action and support it Captain.
    Thank you.

I keep my spark plug for just such a occasion.

I would hope that this courageous individual is extended some lenient courtesy from an understanding judge. He should be getting an award not a sentence..JMO
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for shooting the other for fun"...Army marching cadence

follow up
    According to Monday's 11 Alive News, charges against the military veteran, who broke out a car window in Athens, Georgia, to save a dog, have been dropped. Western Judicial Circuit District Attorney Ken Mauldin confirmed that charges against 46-year-old Michael Hammons had been dismissed.

Hammons, a veteran of Desert Storm, broke out the window of the parked Ford Mustang in an effort to free a Yorkie-mix dog from the hot interior. Though the dog's owner was said to be "irate" about the situation, most people who heard of Hammons' actions viewed him as a hero.

Multiple sources reported that the responding authorities did not want to charge Hammons on the day of the incident, but the woman who owned the dog had insisted. According to Monday's 11 Alive News, the dog's owner now agrees with the decision to drop the charges against the man who broke out her car's window.

Shortly after breaking out the car's window, Hammons had indicated that he was comfortable with his decision to do so, and that he would do it again - he stated: "I knew there'd be consequences, but it didn't matter. Glass, they make new glass every day, but they could never replace that dog."

Thanks, Asft, that's great news. There is some justice after all....
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun, one is for shooting the other for fun"...Army marching cadence