Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junoir Member

Recording IPTV Streams

I haven't yet bought a Mag box buit was wondering if it's possible to record a stream so that I can timeshift football matches. I can't watch footy until 7pm at earliesy but most of the games are played before then, 3pm. So if I got a Mag box is it possible to disconnect the HDMI cable and use a composite cable to feed a video recorder, which I haven't bought yet either. I suppose I could set the channel on the Mag box, connect the video recorder and set a timer to switch them both on.

Is this possible,

Regards

Dave

Warrior Member
    The box will let you record, but the provider, in this case any of the providers here, will not let you record. This has been a big argument here for sometime.

So simply, NO!

Junoir Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjackson View Post
    The box will let you record, but the provider, in this case any of the providers here, will not let you record. This has been a big argument here for sometime.

So simply, NO!
    How can they tell if I'm taking the TV lead out of the Mag and only connecting the recorder??

Ministry of Defence
    Because they can use the search function on the top right of the home page you will find pages and pages of threads giving the same answer
    If I helped you why haven't you clicked my rep power

Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by davecabezo View Post
    I haven't yet bought a Mag box buit was wondering if it's possible to record a stream so that I can timeshift football matches. I can't watch footy until 7pm at earliesy but most of the games are played before then, 3pm. So if I got a Mag box is it possible to disconnect the HDMI cable and use a composite cable to feed a video recorder, which I haven't bought yet either. I suppose I could set the channel on the Mag box, connect the video recorder and set a timer to switch them both on.

Is this possible,

Regards

Dave
    AFAIK what you are suggesting should work, in this case you are not recording on the Mag254, just using it as a video source and using an external recorder. One problem you will have is the Mag254 will not boot up to a channel... it boots to a menu and you have to do some work with the remote to get it where you want it to be, and..... you can't leave it on a channel for hours on end as the servers have ( or did have) something like a two hour shutoff, so in your case somebody would have to start the recording. I don't know if other devices will allow you to do what you want to do but I do know the Mag254 is gonna be a problem. Good luck
    MAG254 on IKS66 (wired not wifi)

Junoir Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_vale View Post
    AFAIK what you are suggesting should work, in this case you are not recording on the Mag254, just using it as a video source and using an external recorder. One problem you will have is the Mag254 will not boot up to a channel... it boots to a menu and you have to do some work with the remote to get it where you want it to be, and..... you can't leave it on a channel for hours on end as the servers have ( or did have) something like a two hour shutoff, so in your case somebody would have to start the recording. I don't know if other devices will allow you to do what you want to do but I do know the Mag254 is gonna be a problem. Good luck
    So all I need is someone to switch on the Mag and tune it to the correct stream at the correct time. Many thanks for the hope juan. Will probably give it a try. All I need now is to search for a simple/cheap video recorder

Regards

dave

Junoir Member
    Sorry stoner but I don't follow. Who is "They" and how can they tell that I've switched the lead from the Mag away from the TV and plugged it into a video recorder??

Warrior
    Hi dave, after I replied to you earlier I did some investigating and it is possible to record with the Mag254, I have made some recordings this evening and it works fine.
    I have written this up as it may be of use to others as well.

To record using the Mag254 you have to use the playlist (m3u) option and have a playlist loaded as explained in this thread http://iptvtalk.net/showthread.php?2...light=playlist

You should have a USB flash memory plugged into the box with sufficient space for your recording and remember WYSIWYG... any buffering or freezing or interruptions will also be recorded.

1.- have your playlist loaded and tested as working.

2.- go to 'Inner Portal' and select 'record manager' then the red button to 'add record'

3.- set up the recording details... start...end...channel (use the left/right arrow button of the remote to go through the list and select your channel).... use the keyboard function of the remote to fill in 'record name' (default is the time of recording).... select your usb flash drive in 'record in'

4.- hit 'OK' to start the recording, if it is a future recording the line with the channel name will be grey and will turn green at the recording time and return to grey at the end of the recording. If your recording starts immediatley the line will be green.

5.- to stop the recording at any time hit the 'menu' button on the remote then 'stop' or rely on the timer to stop it.

At this point you can either program another recording or check what you just recorded. To ckeck your recording exit out of the 'record manager' and go to 'home media'... select your flash drive from the list (important) and then look for 'records' and inside that folder you will find your recording with the name you used in #3.

The file is in .ts format, if you need it in another format you will need a converter... there are many free ones on the web. A one hour recording will use just under 1gb of memory so plan accordingly.

I only discovered this this evening so I may have missed something but you should be able to get it working for now.
    MAG254 on IKS66 (wired not wifi)

Junoir Member
    Hi Juan,

Many thanks for your post, IT SHOULD BE MADE A STICKY as a lot of people will be so pleased that it's possible. I've been trawling around various sites and couldn't find anyone who had done what you have done.
    I'm returning to the UK beginning of August for a month so I'll get the Mag etc then and will set it all up when I get back. I'll report back when I've got it sorted.
    Once Again THANKYOU

Dave

A much better system would be to use the audio/video cable direct to a video recorder - the video recorder will only record in 480 not anything higher unless you buy a high definition recorder - but - as you say you are looking for a cheap recorder - this would work - I use it every day with this set-up. The Mag254 causes no problems - EXCEPT - that the Mag 254 will sometimes shut the system down after about three hours or so. Give it a try - it does work. I have NOT tried this with a TIMER application as I am at the house basically 24/7.
    !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast