Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pinball Wizard

Kodi v17.2 & V17.3 Released :A minor bug fix & security issue

C/P Kodi

We're happy to present you this small bugfix release for the v17 “Krypton” range which contains our continuous effort to further improve the v17 range. This release consist of several fixes on top of the v17 and v17.1 release to further improve stability and usablity. Additionally this also inclused a security patch regarding subtitle zip files. We sure would like to thank every one involved with either development, testing or simply helping out others with answering their questions.

Fixes done in this release:

• Fix selection after channelgroup switching in PVR guide window
    • Fix handling of gaps that caused eradic behaviour in EPG grid
    • Allow backing out of fullscreen pictures by mapping longpress guesture
    • Quick fix for wake up command not being called in PVR power management
    • Use alternative method to check if platform updates have been installed on Windows
    • Set the minimum version in the code which is currently OSX 10.8
    • Fix possible security flaw which could abused .zip files which try to traverse to a parent directory
    • Use the correct ttc font from the video file for subtitles on Windows
    • Detect and delete zero-byte database files which causes crashes

Security

You may have read in the news that malicious subtitle zip files could potentionally infect and harm your media player including Kodi. When Check Point researchers uncovered this flaw they contact us up front to less us know about this flaw. Our developers fixed this secuity gap and have added the fix to this v17.2 release. As such we highly encourage all users to install this latest version! Any previous Kodi version will not get any security patch. We have began the roll out of this version and Android Play Store as well as Windows Store have this update pending and will roll out as soon as possible. Please be patient if you are using these store versions. Our official download page of course has the regular install files available for the supported platforms.

What else is new?

In the bugfix releases we never include any new features. They are as feature complete as the initial version with the diference is they contain stability and usability fixes. If you are curious you can read up on all the v17 changes here: Kodi v17.0 “Krypton”

V17.3

Fixes:

• Fixed missing binary add-ons on release time
    • Fixed crash on older distros like Ubuntu 14.04 with GCC 4.8 compiler
    Last edited by Kimbo; 05-25-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar
    nice to see that Kodi was quick to fix this subtite exploit
    thnx for the news Laser

Code:
    http://thehackernews.com/2017/05/movie-subtitles-malware.html
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Junoir Member
    hope you don't mind me adding a link for update..np...
    Last edited by Kimbo; 05-24-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: live link leads to another forum

Pinball Wizard
    Thank you limes for the input but it leads to another forum, If you use Crazed's link it better explains.

Moderator at Work
    Nice review Laser i saw the update in the play store but i didn't update it yet . Thanks

Fire From Within

17.3 rolled out immediately. Must be a serious flaw.

Pinball Wizard
    Added 17.3 info in post #1

TV Addicted
    Do we have to worry about this security risk in some of the boxes like avov that need to be rooted before we can install other things within the box? I only see version 16.2 in that box and is this security risk valid for the avov box?

Fire From Within

The security risk is specifically from subtitle files. So, if you avoid those, you won't have an issue.

TV Addicted
    Dara, thanks again for your professional experience. It makes more sense to me now..I have never downloaded any third party subtitle services. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast