Transparent Wall Technician crazed 9.6's Avatar

The Best (free) Anti-virus & Anti-Malware Protection of 2017

pcmag.com
    Neil J. Rubenking
    May 9, 2017
    Code:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp
    Even if you're running Windows 10, you shouldn't rely on Microsoft's security tools. Many free third-party apps are more effective at keeping you safe. We've tested 15 no-cost AV services to help you find the right one for protecting your PC.

This article reports only on free antivirus products that received at least a good rating in our reviews—three stars or better. Among those that didn't make the cut is Microsoft Windows Defender, with 2.5 stars. All of the independent labs I follow do include Microsoft in testing, but most use it as a baseline. If a product can't do better than the baseline, it's got real problems.

Newly joining the party are a pair of free utilities devoted entirely to ransomware protection. Cybereason RansomFree and Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta exist for the sole purpose of fending off any ransomware attack that your regular antivirus misses. I include them in the blurbs below and encourage you to add one or both to your malware-fighting arsenal. They don't appear in the chart simply because they don't do the job of a full-scale antivirus utility.

There are also numerous free antivirus utilities that work solely to clean up existing malware infestations. You bring out these cleanup-only tools when you have a nasty malware infestation. When the problem's gone, they have no further use, since they offer no ongoing protection. Our Editors' Choice in this category is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 3.0, and it's definitely one you should try if you've got a malware problem. But since they're free, you can keep trying others if the first one doesn't do the job. When the scare is over, you'll need a full-blown antivirus for ongoing protection.

Avast Free Antivirus 2017
    Editors' Choice
    Free at AVAST Software
    Avast Free Antivirus 2017 combines a great free antivirus with a surprisingly extensive collection of bonus features.

AVG AntiVirus Free (2017)
    Editors' Choice
    Free at AVG Technologies
    AVG AntiVirus Free has a new look, and some new technology, but our hands-on tests and independent lab tests show that it's just as reliable as ever.

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition (2017)
    Free at Bitdefender
    Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition includes precisely the same antivirus technology found in the commercial Bitdefender Antivirus, without the paid edition's many useful bonus features.

Check Point ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus+ 2017
    Free at ZoneAlarm
    ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus+ combines a top-notch firewall with antivirus protection licensed from award-winning Kaspersky. This free program can be a good choice if you don't want a full-scale security suite.

Cybereason RansomFree
    The consequences of a ransomware attack are dire, so a second layer of defense like Cybereason RansomFree is a great idea. It's free; go ahead and install it.

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta
    Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta watches program behavior to thwart any ransomware that gets past your existing antivirus. This lightweight, free utility makes a great addition to your security arsenal.

Sophos Home
    Free at Sophos
    Sophos Home brings the company's sophisticated business-grade antivirus technology to the home user, for free. It scores very well with the independent labs, and in most (but not all) of our own tests.

Avira Antivirus (2017)
    Free at Avira
    The free Avira Antivirus gets excellent ratings from the independent labs, but in testing its scans were slow, and its browser protection only works with Chrome and Firefox.

adaware antivirus free 12
    In a complete makeover, adaware antivirus free 12 has a new name and a new look. Under the hood, though, its test results aren't the best, and competing free products have much more to offer.

Comodo Antivirus 10
    The free Comodo Antivirus 10 has a new look, and it aced our hands-on malware blocking test. However, it didn't do as well on other tests by PCMag or the few independent labs that have evaluated it.

Panda Free Antivirus (2017)
    Free at Panda Security
    Panda Free Antivirus boasts an attractive user interface and an unusual USB vaccination feature, but its scores have slipped in both our tests and independent lab tests. Read the full review

Qihoo 360 Total Security 8.6
    The free Qihoo 360 Total Security 8.6 comes with a ton of bonus tools, but its core antivirus protection doesn't measure up to the best free antivirus tools.

thnx to pcmag.com for these reviews and information
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

I have downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta... but for some reason it would not open.
    So I deleted it and then downloaded Cybereason RansomFree and it seems to be working properly.

I need to add that Malwarebytes is my main protection, has been a long time. It has been and is one of the best I have used...
    So with that extra version not opening for me, has me a bit frazzled. I know I got it from malwareBytes origin.
    I gonna re-try that one again.

Cybereason RansomFree seems to be okay , no reports thus far... and also been testing this free version of AVG and can only say good things about it so far .
    It has alerts when needed, it has full scans and fixes, it has all the fixes too with browser extensions and unsupported linked and shortcuts and etc, etc.. really is good, only bad thing was I seen so far is the notice that it is a 30 day trial only
    Very good program thou and I can see why it gets an Editor's Choice pic
    Last edited by crazed 9.6; 05-16-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue for as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will take down the scenery, move the tables and chairs out of the way, then they will pull back the curtains and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

Bulletproof
    Also try SuperAntiSpyware, It's free also cleans all little and big spyware and adware. Also try JetClean, free. And in JetClean - you can find JetBoost, which helps you computer or laptop run a little quicker. I hope it helps you out.. andkaal

TV Addicted
    Kaspersky anti-virus free ..topped out at one of the best a month or two ago in independent tests..using it now..working great.Malwarebytes as second opinion demand scanner.

thnx for the additions guys !
    Fantastic
    - Frank Zappa

Ambassador
    I have ESET Smart Security 8 which was installed by my computer tech. I'm in Mexico and he thinks it's very good. Does anyone know about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
    I have ESET Smart Security 8 which was installed by my computer tech. I'm in Mexico and he thinks it's very good. Does anyone know about it?
    nah bro, its garbage.
    All information provided is for informational purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Bulletproof
    Quote Originally Posted by crazed 2.0 View Post
    thnx for the additions guys !
    Fantastic
    You are welcome. Enjoy ... andkaal

Bulletproof
    Also with SuperAntiSpyware you can set your cleaning up to 365 days of cleaning. (I set it at that 365 days always) Quick scan or Complete scan. You can also update every day for new spyware and maleware. Best is "complete scan". andkaal